First Clutch Replacement

ZV Cobra

Established Member
My rear main seal is leaking and needs to be replaced so I was just going to replace the clutch while everything is apart. My car just went over 100k miles and this will be my first time replacing the clutch. I found a couple kits on 50 resto that look good but I have a couple questions. Is it worth it to get a new flywheel instead of just having my old one turned? Also do I really need a new bearing retainer at this time? I figured it would be better just to go ahead and replace everything now but if I don’t really need the new flywheel and retainer I would like to save the money.

Heres one of the kits I thought looked pretty good.
94-95 Mustang Ram Hdx Clutch Master Replacement Kit, 5.0L at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Napp E Roots

Established Member
i just did this to my car last month same clutch RAM HDX and a RAM billet flywheel the only reason was i had to replace the TO bearing. but since i had it all torn apart i just replaced everything. my clutch was fine and flywheel was fine too but its serious a pain so just do it all at once. then atleast you have peice of mind that everything is good to go under there

ZV Cobra

Established Member
Yeah thats kinda what i was thinking, just wanted some other peoples opinions. How do you like the RAM clutch so far.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I've HEARD that the Ram won't hold up to much more than stock power, but I have no experience with it. I bought a Ram for mine, but then found out I have an 11" flywheel so I'm using a Luk clutch instead. No complaints with my 11" setup: Chirps 4th on the 100 shot and DRs.

I would just get the flywheel turned, but I would recommend that you get a new clutch fork. The clip on mine broke literally 3 months after I put everything in, so the tranny had to come out again. It's a lot easier the second time.

Do a search and you'll find a ton of write ups on here. Not a hard job, just time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread