First car to buy for performance?

Cruze

Hey svt,

Right now I have a 2005 chevy impala and parts are basically hard to get.

So I'm wondering what car should I get that I can really mod?

So I'll be a total noob. 2 fast and furious style cars. The turbo, the nos, the air intake, the engine mods, and of course body kits etc.

Whats a good starter car with a manual transmission and what are the first steps I should take to get started?

I'll be reading this forum to gather my own knowledge but thought it would be easier to ask you guys/ladies who are already deep into the hobby.

Thanks for your time.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Ummm, if you really want shit from the fast and the furious, this is the completely wrong forum for you.

If you want to learn about cars that are ACTUALLY fast, then stay around, listen, and learn.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
It's than instead of then.

For a "performance" car under $13,000-

Used Ford Mustang GT
Nissan 240sx
Older Porsche
Mazda RX7
Older Toyota Supra (MKIII)
Nissan 300ZX
Used Subaru Impreza WRX

etc

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
Price range is a start...but what kind of car you looking for? 2 door car (99 cobra)...a truck (99+ lightning - supercharged)...a 4 door car with a turbo 4 (mazdaspeed 6)...I mean the list could go on and on.

What do you want to do with the auto...do you want rear wheel or all wheel drive (notice I didnt say FWD...haha)...truck/car...manual/auto...race or daily driver...

Give some info and people can recommend a car to fit you that can haul some ass...

Cruze

Price range is a start...but what kind of car you looking for? 2 door car (99 cobra)...a truck (99+ lightning - supercharged)...a 4 door car with a turbo 4 (mazdaspeed 6)...I mean the list could go on and on.

What do you want to do with the auto...do you want rear wheel or all wheel drive (notice I didnt say FWD...haha)...truck/car...manual/auto...race or daily driver...

Give some info and people can recommend a car to fit you that can haul some ass...

2 door, manual, racing (atleast able to race but I'm not going to be like drag racing or anything) have a daily driver, all wheel drive.

Last edited:

97cobra1

Established Member
Do a little research and bounce around some TRUE performance enthusiast sites. Not hondaRfast.com or some such BS site.

A lot of good suggestions have been tossed out so far. But your best bet is a turbo 4 banger that isn't FWD (wrx, supra, rx7, etc) or a nice friendly v8. I'd avoid any V6 TT cars because they're a huge pain in the ass to work on. I've seen first hand the hassle messing around under the hood of a 300z TT or a 3000gt VR-4.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I'd say start with a clean Fox-body to play with. Parts are cheap, plentiful, and are a phone call and cc number away. Just watch out for the snap-oversteer.....

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I'd say start with a clean Fox-body to play with. Parts are cheap, plentiful, and are a phone call and cc number away.
+1, without a doubt.

Terminators are nice but kinda pricey and they might be a bit much for your first "real" performance car. Plus I don't want to see another "Oh nooes I wrecked my car" thread. :rollseyes 99+ Cobras will just leave you wishing you had a Terminator so that's why I say no to that. 2V GT's are nice cars, it's just that they're so vanilla and the cost vs. fun factor is lower than that of a 5.0. As for the f-bodies, yeah they're somewhat quick but I'm hoping you don't have a mullet nor do you want one....

ziggyspeez

YSSUP MOW!
Established Member
Try a '96 GT. You can pick one up for about $4,000. Put on a set of Patriot performance heads w/ a pi intake, and full exhaust for about $3,000, then buy the Maximum Motorsports Grip in a box (full suspension) $3,800, add a set of 13" cobra front brakes and a set of Eradispeed 13" rear disc brakes for about $600, Pro 5.0 or MGW shifter & Spec stage II clutch and adjustable clutch cable $600, throw in a set of 17x9 wheels all the way around w/ Fuzion ZrI 245 40 ZR17 tires for about $1,100. There you go, a great first rwd car that handles like a vette for about 1/4 the cost.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
LOL. You asked this on a Mustang forum, so you can probably guess the answers.

But serious, get a Mustang or Camaro. Cheap speed is where it's at.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
do not get a 96-98 GT, they are turds! Unless you get it hella cheap and then just drive the piss out of it

OP, You stated you wanted all wheel drive. Keep in mind that is more parts to break and shit to go wrong. But an Eagle Talon can be fun and cheap

Users who are viewing this thread