First 351w Build (and stroker)

mechanicboy

Established Member
I'm looking for suggestions/opinions here so feel free to say what you want. As the title states, this is my first 351w build and it's my first stroker (I am aware of the clearance I need to do, I have been googling it for a few days now).

I'm doing a budget build for a friends 1969 Mustang with a 351w (which actually came out of a Torino from the casting numbers). He's really pushing a stroker build but keeps talking about budget. I here you can use the stock 351w rods with stock 302 pistons and a 3.85 stroker crank. The problem I'm having is all the 302 pistons I find will push the static compression to 11.5:1 or higher unless I get a $6-800 pistons. He will be daily driving the car so i'm worried about so much compression and not being able to put enough cam in to bleed off the pressure so he can run pump 91.

His car is and automatic with an FMX trans, vacuum brakes and power steering. He might add A/C later

He already has 60cc aluminum heads with a 190 runners 2.02/1.60 (springs setup for a hydro flat tappet with .550 max lift), Edelbrock performer intake, 600 cfm holley carb, shorty headers into a dual exhaust with H-pipe, new aluminum radiator. We do NOT have new crank or pistons yet nor any gaskets.

Is running 11.5-12:1 ok as long as I choose the correct cam to bring the dynamic compression down to say 10-10.5? I know I can run thicker head gaskets but the local shots say don't go more than 0.050 on this engine(I don't like using thicker gaskets as much as I can). One reason I'm looking at going the stock 302 piston route is because the block cleaned up real nice with a light honing so I'd like to not bore it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread