First 350Z

CobraTone

Established Member
Well, I have always wanted to race one of these cars since they have come out, never had gotten the chance. What's funny is finally we get the chance and my buddy was driving my cobra, but that's okay because he is a veteran mustang driver. :beer:

Anyways, we pull up next to him on the interstate doing about 70, and we both drop the hammer and my buddy walks him pretty bad, probably had 3 cars on him by 120. Then he does a flyby, and my buddy catches back up to him, but wasn't sure if we were going to go again so he was in 5th. We were in the middle line coming up on him, he was in the right. Just as we get on his bumper and we are doing about 85 he punches it, he starts walking because my buddy had to downshift to 3rd.

We catch back up pretty quickly and he still has it floored the whole time. :eek: Too bad I didn't get to see the look on his face because his windows were tinted, but I waved at him as we passed him doing about 130. By the time we got ahead of him we were at 140 and had to jump in the right lane, because the exits come up pretty quick at that speed.

He gets off the interstate with us and follows us for a bit, then gets next to us but turns off. He was cool, we both honked at each other as we drove off. I knew the 03's were much faster, but it feels good to finally race one! :beer:

Cobra4pt6

Banned
you should enjoy the killings now, but when that 350z turbo comes out, all hell is gonna break loose.... Greddy has a 350z running 5.6 pounds of boost and it runs the 1/4 mile in 12.7.....Greddy set it at a conservative 5.6psi b/c the car is in its test stages......but imagaine right now that that car would be a MONSTER at 18psi......

F23A4

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra4pt6
you should enjoy the killings now, but when that 350z turbo comes out, all hell is gonna break loose.... Greddy has a 350z running 5.6 pounds of boost and it runs the 1/4 mile in 12.7.....Greddy set it at a conservative 5.6psi b/c the car is in its test stages......but imagaine right now that that car would be a MONSTER at 18psi......

:coolman:

jguerrero

Established Member
hey cobra4pt6, how much is that kit going to cost for the 350z?My buddy has one and needs something for that slow POS to get moving.

When they come out, I think they might give some stock 03 cobra problems running those times. However, there are stock 03 cobra running times better than what Geddy got out of their test car. My point is that the 350Z already costs as much as a cobra, and with that kit I would say its going to be at least 5-10 thousand more for a proper professional install and tune. A cobra with all the basic bolton should hand one its ass. I doubt the cars will be out of the low thirteens with that setup. A full second off there stock times with only 5.6 pds of boost is highly unlikely for non professional drivers. Anyway, if you can send me a link I want to send it to my friend. thanks

Last edited:

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
18 psi yeah but that block wont hold up with that for long at all...i raced one in my gt without the headers and x pipe and it was a breeze...both from a 40 mph roll and a start. it was still fun though...cause he hung a bit from the dig...but on a roll...it got ugly

jguerrero

Established Member
If the kit costs about 6,000 itself, plus a computer to control it, and the bunch of other little crap you have to buy, It's going to be over 10,000 if you cant install it yourself. The barely broke out of the the thirteens(12.9). If you read the article, they had to restrict the turbo to play it safe for the engine, I dont think their will be any 18 psi 350z's any time soon. Remember, this car is no supra. The car has a very high compression as it is. Turning up the boost is like pulling the pin out of a gernade and waiting.

I dont think even a stock cobra will have much trouble.

Last edited:

wtpSVTkh01

Established Member

i agree with you completely with that statement but i was talking to my buddy who has a 300zx and knows quite a bit about the turbos and shit. he said that the greddy 350z isnt really all its cracked up to be. i didnt believe him and he told me with those 18g turbos on a 300zx twin you can be running 550-600whp or so with 6 or 7 psi. i get what he says and it makes sense but i still agree with you that its a badass car.

jguerrero

Established Member
the thing is that the engine is to high compression, it was not meant to have super high amounts of boost on it, at least being safe. The cobra engine is made fro boost, a very low compression engine that can handle high boost. It also has forged internals, the 350z has niether of these.

Pyro

Established Member

A 350Z Turbo should be cool but it's nothing a pulley and chip can't handle of not a stock 03/04 Cobra. Nevertheless, I've always liked the 350Z's.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I cant wait to run one...a guy here at work traded is '01 C-5 for one....I got to drive it a few days ago...its pretty cool but if $35k I wouldn't by one!

I think I could beat it pretty bad in my '95 what do you guys think?

2000-S6

Established Member
i think if nissan offers the greddy package as an option when buying the car, and offers full warranty, then you might see a few of these greddy cars. however, if owners are on their own with warranty (on the engine), forget it...
that's one thing ford got right with the 03's...full warranty on the engine with the blower. you can squeeze out 400 hp to the wheels (k/n plus full exhaust), and still be covered. that's good for mid 12's on F1's! same can be said for BPU supras
when a customer must bear the burden of having to pay for a new engine if they blow up the greddy...that's just unreasonable. just my $.02

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Wonder how long the warranty will last when the motors start blowing up. What a hassle to know that your internals any day will go up in smoke. Does Nissan pick up the tow bill also?

Users who are viewing this thread