first 2014 with gear whine

sftdyna

Established Member
Well i think im the first. February build date, car had 1200 miles on it when whine started its at dealer now and my tech is advising me to upgrade the axles and perhaps go to timkin bearings. Im ordering strange axles because ive used them many time in my early years and never had an issue. There seems to be an issue with this whine coming back after a repair does anyone know what the real culprit is here? Im real easy on this car compared to most so im surprised i had this issue.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Have your tech check the pinion bearing preload before he removes the pinion gear. I would like to see if it is less than it should be.

Wildman113

Established Member
Its not the bearings or the axle that are causing the whine.

Its all in the gear back lash and pinion preload. The problem is that the 8.8 was never designed to handle 662HP. Although the 8.8 is bulletproof, all that power and torque really stresses the internals and the housing. Which, ultimately results in gear whine.

Since the majority of '13+ GT500s exhibit this concern, I wouldn't worry about trying to fix it unless its to the point where it can bear heard over the stereo or with the windows open.

smrtasp

Established Member
Mine is noisy enough to hear over both right now and it has new gears. I'm taking it to a different dealer next week. I'm sure I can pay an independent shop to fix this but ford needs to stand behind these cars and make it right.

sftdyna

Established Member
It's coming apart today so I will know what they find . We can't seem to find a timkin part # for the larger pinion Bering used in the 13/14 cars we know its basic an f150 berring so if anyone knows the pinion # for timkin it would help.

sftdyna

Established Member
Its not the bearings or the axle that are causing the whine.

Its all in the gear back lash and pinion preload. The problem is that the 8.8 was never designed to handle 662HP. Although the 8.8 is bulletproof, all that power and torque really stresses the internals and the housing. Which, ultimately results in gear whine.

Since the majority of '13+ GT500s exhibit this concern, I wouldn't worry about trying to fix it unless its to the point where it can bear heard over the stereo or with the windows open.
We agree on both statements here! But if its coming apart I would feel better upgrading what ever I can.

ryan319

Established Member
Well i think im the first. February build date, car had 1200 miles on it when whine started its at dealer now and my tech is advising me to upgrade the axles and perhaps go to timkin bearings. Im ordering strange axles because ive used them many time in my early years and never had an issue. There seems to be an issue with this whine coming back after a repair does anyone know what the real culprit is here? Im real easy on this car compared to most so im surprised i had this issue.

Does it whine when accelerating or coasting, or both? Any particular speed, gear, or rpm?

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
My 14 started to whine at 500 miles,so I brought it to the dealer and the service manager took it for a test ride and heard how bad it was,so they called ford and they sent a whole new axle assembly,never even cracked the differential cover to peak inside.i had 1200 miles on when they swapped out the assembly and now I have 2000 miles and the same exact whine is back,just called my dealer this week and asked them if they new of any TSB or any word on and updated part and they said they have not heard of any problems with any other 13/14 gear whine issues.i don't want to go back a forth to the dealer every 500 miles to have the rear end swapped out,so I guess my choice is to fix my self with non ford parts,

shelbysvt

Established Member
I have a gear whine that I have had gears, pinion, and all bearing replaced 3x now and it could not be cured. If anything it actually got worse. It use to be very faint only on acceleration from 59-61 now it is loud when I let off the gas from 50-42. I was thinking of having them replace the entire rear end but it looks like that may not work. Maybe this isn't a gear issue???

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
They all have it. Its Ford's fault and unless they change the parts they are using it will keep coming back no matter how many times they "replace" it.

shelbysvt

Established Member
So exactly what part is giving way here? Is there something in the aftermarket that will fix this?

No one really knows. I'm switching my BMR UCA to the roush to silence it a bit though. And changing out the bobs LCA to the roush ones as well.

19chrome98

Established Member
Mine got the gear whine after a night at the drag strip, 4 passes with 1300 miles and stock tires. took it to the dealership and back lash was with in spec but wear pattern was out of wack, they replaced gears and so far so good.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine got the gear whine after a night at the drag strip, 4 passes with 1300 miles and stock tires. took it to the dealership and back lash was with in spec but wear pattern was out of wack, they replaced gears and so far so good.
I noticed a hint of gear whine on the 5hr drive home, but it is VERY noticeable now with 1100 and got much worse after a trip to the track with 600 miles, on stock tires.
Mine goes in Monday morning for the driver side door panel to be replaced (small manufacturing defect, not a big deal if it was a DD) and they will also be cracking the differential to inspect.
I have already done a ride along with the SVT tech and he confirmed it was gear whine and that they would replace the gear.
I am also going to have them inspect the rear fully as another member here at the side axle bearings spin in the housing.
I am buying and having them install FRPP 4.10s if they will, they seemed to be OK with that but said they couldn't commit until they popped the cover.
I will let you know how it goes.
-J

smrtasp

Established Member
Mine comes on at about 75. Before the first gears went in the whine was on decel only. Now it's on both accel and decel so its actually worse than before. It's going to a different dealer next week for a second opinion.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine comes on at about 75. Before the first gears went in the whine was on decel only. Now it's on both accel and decel so its actually worse than before. It's going to a different dealer next week for a second opinion.

Yeah, it build quickly above 75mph for me also, not really noticeable above other noises at low speed.
I find it interesting it is only on accel, every other gears I've heard whine have always been on decel.
Best way to hear it is easy light throttle for accel on highway; get off throttle and no whine.
I'm hoping Ford can fix it, if not I'll be having aftermarket parts ASAP.
-J

sftdyna

Established Member
Its been suggested that along with getting better axles and berrings that i should purchase a set of motive gears! I told my tech i didn't mind laying the money out for upgrades but i would think ford would walk away from further warranty work if i put my own gear set in. Does anyone have experience with motive? If i knew this would definitely fix the problem then i have no issue springing for the gear set even though ford should be eating the whole thing. Im waiting on the final report as to what they find, so hopefully by that time maybe we can figure out the best coarse of action.

Wildman113

Established Member
Its been suggested that along with getting better axles and berrings that i should purchase a set of motive gears! I told my tech i didn't mind laying the money out for upgrades but i would think ford would walk away from further warranty work if i put my own gear set in. Does anyone have experience with motive? If i knew this would definitely fix the problem then i have no issue springing for the gear set even though ford should be eating the whole thing. Im waiting on the final report as to what they find, so hopefully by that time maybe we can figure out the best coarse of action.

I don't see it being any quieter with an aftermarket gear set. The OEM Ring and Pinion sets tend to be the quietest compared with any aftermarket gears.

Users who are viewing this thread