Fireworks damaged my paint

madman59

Established Member
Like a moron, I left my Mustang in the driveway over the weekend and now I have alot of small white pits in the finish of my car. I can feel the pits, I'm assuming the clear coat is trashed. Any thoughts or advice short of making an insurance claim and wringing my neighbor's necks?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Um..if you can actually FEEL the pits then to a degree, you're screwed.

Now, if you're really LUCKY it will just be fly-ash sitting on the paint. Grab a claybar and give it a shot first and see if it lifts off.

Otherwise if the stuff burned 'down' into the paint...I'd seek other options.

madman59

Established Member
I will try the claybar its certainly cheaper than paying my insurance deductible. Can you pick up a claybar at Autozone or O'Reilly's? Never used a claybar before. Would it be more prudent to order from one of the site sponsors?

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Wal mart was the cheapest place I could find them. They have a meguiars kit that comes with 2 clay bars, Some detail spray, and a big microfiber towl.

I would bet that at the rate ashes from fireworks cool, what you feel is just the ash sticking to the paint like mblgjr said.

Clay bar'ing is pretty straight forward, kneed the clay into a pad, spray the quick detail spray on the paint, then run the clay bar across the paint. Make sure you always keep the area you are working wet with the quick detail spray.

Here is a pretty good demonstration on how to clay bar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI"]YouTube - How to Clay Bar[/ame]

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Mother's and Meg's both offer claybar kits and you can now find them at most any parts chain and sometimes WalWhore.

Users who are viewing this thread