Firearms questions in NJ.

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
Few questions here for anyone with experience IN NJ, LEO preferred though.

Waiting on the response to my Firearms ID and (2) pistol permits. Most likely an approval on both as I've got a clean record and all that other stuff will check out fine.

What are the requirements for me to transport them to and from ranges? IIRC, both weapon and ammo must be separate and secured away from the driver?

What should be my procedure if I'm stopped for any reason, and have the weapons in the car? Let the officer know it off the word go that I have weapons in the car? Wait for him/her to ask? (I'd prefer not to tell them at all. But if they ask, I will let them know.)

Where can I locate the requirements for getting a concealed carry permit in NJ. I have a legit reason too, just curious about the requirements at the moment. (Most likely won't apply to get it but I'd like to look into it in case I decide to at a later date.)

Can anyone recommend a good "starter" course for my wife? She's never fired a pistol and I want her to have "proper" lesson's so she doesn't think I'm being a dick to her while teaching her to shoot. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I've handled plenty of weapons, safely. I don't mind traveling anywhere in the state or even North Eastern PA.

What ranges can anyone recommend? I knew of Ray's on 22 but they are no longer open. I've heard of one in Lakewood, but nothing more then it's there.

Thanks for the replies.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
1 Be over 21 years old and fill out an application form.

Step 2 Be a retired New Jersey police officer or federal officer to be entitled to an unrestricted CCW permit. You may also be an armored car worker. These are not statutory requirements, but a CCW permit is almost never issued to anyone else in New Jersey. The basis for issuing a permit is almost completely discretionary and you must demonstrate an urgent need for self-protection.

Step 3 Determine who your issuing authority is. If you are a resident of New Jersey living in a town with a chief of police and are not seeking armored car employment, your issuing authority is your local chief of police. Otherwise, your issuing authority is the state police superintendent (you can go to any state police barracks.)

Step 4 Provide the issuing authority with the completed application form, your fingerprints, the permit fee and proof of firearms training. Most departments charge more than what the statute specifies.

Step 5 Present a complete description of each handgun you intend to carry. The permit is good for two years.

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
Thanks. I did the whole google thing and found a few responses, that being one of them. I didn't want to just go off that, rather hear it from someone else..

03cobraracer

Established Member
adam is brian if you have any questions just gimme a call i go to shore shot in lakewood pretty often. i can prolly answer your questions or i can find out through middletown PD since im a auxilary officer with them now. if you dont have my number anymore PM me and i will give it to you

flattrack53

Established Member
I thought about moving to new jersey...But further research into gun ownership. Can't take my class 3 guns and a my suppressors :(

Users who are viewing this thread