Firearms Question

CEV

Established Member
This seemed like the most fitting section since this is about gun laws.

Around my neighborhood there have been quite a few home invasions in the past year. 2 of which within 1/4 mile of my home so I figured its about time to buy myself a gun for home protection. I was looking into a shotgun like a Mossberg 500. I am not looking to go shooting with it at the range or hunting, I just want it strictly for home use.

In my search I came across this beauty:

Super Shorty

My question is, What are the laws surrounding ownership of this gun? Is it considered a pistol? since it is easily conceilable would I have to go through any other registration process? Is it even legal? I was under the assumption this was a no no since you arent supposed to own a sawed-off for this very reason.

thanks in advance.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
In certain states they are legal. Since a shotgun designed like that is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, its technically not a rifle. Being that it has the vertical foregrip would make it an AOW (Any other weapon under the NFA registry) The tax stamp is 5$ and can take quite some time to process.

Unfortunately, New York state does not allow short barreled rifles and silencers to be possessed by residence, so on a hunch I am going to say they will not allow AOWs to be possessed by residents either. NY isn't exactly gun friendly.

If your looking for a good home defense shotgun, I would recommend a regular shotgun with a buttstock. If you have to you it to protect your life and your family, you don't want to pull a spray and pray. Pistol grip shotguns are harder to aim due to, the lack of stock. Get a regular mossberg 500 or an older Remington 870 wingmaster with a metal trigger group and call it a day

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
In certain states they are legal. Since a shotgun designed like that is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, its technically not a rifle. Being that it has the vertical foregrip would make it an AOW (Any other weapon under the NFA registry) The tax stamp is 5$ and can take quite some time to process.

Unfortunately, New York state does not allow short barreled rifles and silencers to be possessed by residence, so on a hunch I am going to say they will not allow AOWs to be possessed by residents either. NY isn't exactly gun friendly.

If your looking for a good home defense shotgun, I would recommend a regular shotgun with a buttstock. If you have to you it to protect your life and your family, you don't want to pull a spray and pray. Pistol grip shotguns are harder to aim due to, the lack of stock. Get a regular mossberg 500 or an older Remington 870 wingmaster with a metal trigger group and call it a day
Not to be a smart-ass but how well do you have to aim a shotgun in a hallway?

I would think a full length shotgun would be harder to aim and move around in tight situations. Especially while scared and freshly woken.
It seems the op wants the no-nonsense and stopping power of a shotgun otherwise he would have gotten a pistol.
It seems like the perfect marriage of what he wants.
I'd get 2 so you can dual wield it, kinda shock and awe the robber arnold style.

Last edited:

CEV

Established Member

Yeah I kinda figured NY wouldnt allow such a weapon in my possession. It seemed like a pipe dream at best.

And black magic, that is exactly what I have been looking at the past few weeks. However I have been hearing alot of people favoring the mossberg (granted I dont know very much about guns) since it is made in america and relatively cheaper. with that said for what I am using it for the last thing I plan on doing is buying something just cause its cheaper. When it comes to the defense of myself and my family Ill just shell out the few extra $$.

txyaloo

Established Member
Yeah I kinda figured NY wouldnt allow such a weapon in my possession. It seemed like a pipe dream at best.

And black magic, that is exactly what I have been looking at the past few weeks. However I have been hearing alot of people favoring the mossberg (granted I dont know very much about guns) since it is made in america and relatively cheaper. with that said for what I am using it for the last thing I plan on doing is buying something just cause its cheaper. When it comes to the defense of myself and my family Ill just shell out the few extra $$.

The 870 is also made in America. I would not use a Serbu as a home defense gun. Contrary to some people's belief, you do need to actually aim a shotgun. Aim is the difference between hitting center of mass with shot versus hitting your wall and only hitting the person with part of the load.

If you've ever tried to firing a pistol grip shotgun, you'll know it's not the easiest thing to control in a 12gauge. The Serbu is even worse.

Go with a regular 12g shotgun with a full stock and an 18" barrel.

txyaloo

Established Member
I'd get 2 so you can dual wield it, kinda shock and awe the robber arnold style.

This is real life... not the movies. You aren't going to double fist short barrel 12g shotguns shooting one in each hand and expect to hit anything w/o killing your wrists.

AaronK

Established Member

Very nice home defense firearm.

The 870 is also made in America. I would not use a Serbu as a home defense gun. Contrary to some people's belief, you do need to actually aim a shotgun. Aim is the difference between hitting center of mass with shot versus hitting your wall and only hitting the person with part of the load.

If you've ever tried to firing a pistol grip shotgun, you'll know it's not the easiest thing to control in a 12gauge. The Serbu is even worse.

Go with a regular 12g shotgun with a full stock and an 18" barrel.

Well said.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I love the safety design of my mossberg, and it's never jammed on me once. they are extremely simple guns. i vote for the mossey.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm a Small Arms Instructor in the Navy and we use Mossbergs however I have a Remington 870 Police Magnum for home defence. I have to say I would go with the Mossberg over the 870 due to the ease of the safety and forearm release. The Mossberg 590 is the more tactical one.-Shane

txyaloo

Established Member
ive always been a benelli fan myself, but your looking for affordability

The Benelli M3 is on my future purchase list. I've been looking for the HK branded version. Convertible between semi-auto and pump action at the flick of a switch.

ben_m3s90.jpg

jshen

Established Member
Maybe look into a Taurus Judge? It's a large revolver that fires 410 rounds...just food for thought

I like Mossburg but I favor Benelli "Entry" model. Having said that- has anyone here fired a shotgun within the confines of a house at hallway or bedroom distance? I experienced extremely small spread pattern with #4 buckshot at those distances.

The Judge was meant for just the reasons you post.

Digital

Established Member
This is real life... not the movies. You aren't going to double fist short barrel 12g shotguns shooting one in each hand and expect to hit anything w/o killing your wrists.

Danger will robinson there is humor danger!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Go with 870 Remington. I have one for hunting and has been flawless. Great weapon for the price. I would make sure you practice with it also. Don't want the first time you shoot it to be in self defense of your home

exdeath

Established Member
You do have to aim with a shotgun, esp. if you are using proper defensive loads (eg: low recoil 8-9 pellet 00). The spread on a typical unchoked defense shotgun with a 18"-20" barrel across a normal room or hall isn't even 6 inches.

The closest thing you can get to "no aiming required" on a shotgun is ghost ring sights. Great for quick acquisition speed and target visibility, two things that will be hampered in the middle of the night and half asleep.

Reiterating low recoil "tactical" cartridges; the recoil, noise, and flash from a full power round used to drop medium/large game are unnecessary against humans, and disorienting and dangerous for home defense (eg: follow up shots, wall penetration).

My personal favorite is the Mossberg 590 with a 20" barrel and 9 round capacity.

Last edited:

carnut726

Established Member
mossberg JIC is nice also. take a peek at that.
remington 870 is duty for tons of police agencies for a reason. reliability

Users who are viewing this thread