fiquring rate of momentum without speedometer

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
is there a way to do it, going off the hash marks on the highway?..trying to see if i could discern how fast i'm travelling/ other cars are traveling around me.

Cochese

Twin Turbo V8
Established Member
Look for a Speed checked by Aircraft sign. They are measured out, although I'm not sure the distances. A call to the local State Patrol outfit my provide an answer.

Then again, they may ask for the secret handshake. ;)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
94five0 said:
is there a way to do it, going off the hash marks on the highway?..trying to see if i could discern how fast i'm travelling/ other cars are traveling around me.

Momentum is not the same thing as speed. Momentum is a product of mass and velocity. So speed, being the same as velocity, is a part of momentum.

If you are trying to figure your speed via the lines on the highway, those lines are for the vascar system. In order to calculate your speed that way, you would need to know the distance between the lines?

jshen

Established Member
You can use milemarkers....traveling 60 mph should take 60 seconds. Or you can do it at different speeds if you remember a vehicle traveling 60 mph is going 88 ft/sec. example dist/sec at 45 mhp. 60mph/88 ft/sec = 45mhp/ x ft/sec/ time in seconds between mile markers..........that sounds about right

that made my head hurt...

Last edited:

Cochese

Twin Turbo V8
Established Member
jshen said:
You can use milemarkers....traveling 60 mph should take 60 seconds. Or you can do it at different speeds if you remember a vehicle traveling 60 mph is going 88 ft/sec. example dist/sec at 45 mhp. 60mph/88 ft/sec = 45mhp/ x ft/sec/ time in seconds between mile markers..........that sounds about right

that made my head hurt...

i just got a contact headache from reading that, you asshole. :-D

FordSVTFan

Established Member
That is because that new math makes you dizzy. Jeff pulled a common lawyer trick on you:uh oh:

mvcrash

Established Member
It is not new math and it is FPS/sec or FPS/sq. Speed and velocity are not the same. Speed is a scaler quantity, and is expressed in MPH, Velocity is a vector quantity and has magnitude and direction and is expressed in fps/ps or fps/sq. You can add speeds, not velocities.

How is that for mental masturbation!!!!

sq=Squared

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
For this purpose the velocity and the speed are the same thing. Momentum is the product of velocity and mass! Being that a car will have the same vector as any other car, that is a non factor and the momentum can be defined as the product of mass and speed. But momentum is not the same as speed nor velocity.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Me, I just look at my windshield and see the pretty green speedometer display - tells me everything I need to know........plus tachometer, oil temp/pressure, water temp, tranny temp. (not that kind of tranny...). radio channels and turn by turns from the nav unit.

You guys have that in them Ford's don't you?? :poke: :poke:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
What's odd is the Corvette gets the full-blown HUD with radio channel, cd tracks, turn-by-turn and count-down meter for turn locations, speed, tach, all major engine vitals and a "g" force meter.

Buy an XLR or worse, an XLR-V and get a stripped-down version with nothing but speed and radio channels. Even worse is the fact polarized sunglasses completely block out the display in the XLR but you can still see the one in my vette.

mvcrash

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
For this purpose the velocity and the speed are the same thing. Momentum is the product of velocity and mass! Being that a car will have the same vector as any other car, that is a non factor and the momentum can be defined as the product of mass and speed. But momentum is not the same as speed nor velocity.

It was meant as a joke, nothing more. Being your originally from NJ, I'll give you a pass on your physics...!!!

Users who are viewing this thread