FIOS/WIFI question .....Help

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
I have FIOS and with the router they provided , which wirelessly connects all the TV boxes in the house as well as provides the WIFI. It is pretty much centrally located in the home , near my big screen , and I have my Xbox and Blu ray hardwired to it....my Blu-ray player does not have wireless capability .

I recently bought a desktop for my daughter for school and hooked it up in her room using a wireless USB adapter . Unfortunately the signal in her room is very weak . I called verizon and their suggestion was to buy there latest and greatest router for $114 which provides a stronger signal .

Is there another alternative? I thought about running a really long USB cable through the wall in her room through the ceiling and placing the USB hub closer to the router....? Will that work?

:shrug:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You can buy a wifi outer extender. You program the wifi signal and it extend your wifi distance. Doesn't need to be connected to a computer just to a power outlet. I think they're going for $40

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
You need this right here sir.

Amazon.com: Alfa AWUS036H Upgraded to 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g High Gain USB Wireless Long-Rang WiFi network Adapter with 5dBi Antenna - for Wardriving & Range Extension: Computers & Accessories

This baby works great, I use it for security pen testing ;)

You hook it up to your daughters PC via USB and you will get a perfect signal. I can reach houses several blocks away in my neighborhood with this antenna.

Thanks alot.....I'll give it a go!

Users who are viewing this thread