Finnished my IPad mini intall

califsp

Established Member
Finnished my IPad mini install

I have a '13 GT with Shaker 500. Already changed out all the speakers and added a sub. Now I'm going to disable the factory audio and add a single din head unit, an IPad Mini slider mount and keep the factory climate controls. The head unit will go as high as possible. Then the IPad Mini right below it. There are some great Raxion Nav install instructions on American Muscle. They show you how to move the climate module (which sits right behind the SYNC screen) up and out of the way. I then bent the climate module brackets up and to the sides. After removing the cd/audio unit, the whole area behind the face plate is wide open. I am fabricating a face plate myself (first time) out of ABS. So I am losing SYNC. Not much of loss in my opinion.

The climate/audio controls are incorporated on a single board as far as I can see. So once I removed SYNC and the audio unit, I plugged the controls back in. The climate still works perfectly. So far so good.

The reason the IPad mini is going in below the head unit is because the factory/audio contrrols will be behind it, sticking out the bottom with only the climate controls showing. I know it will be a challenge to make it look right. I have found patience and a little elbow grease goes a long way. I just need to find a paint to match the console.

Why am I doing it this way?1.So many people have complained about the Metra and Scosche kits that they are not an option for me. So I am keeping the factory climate controls.
2.The ADS iData Maestro kit is too expensive. Also, my IPad mini will sit up higher than the double din screen does using the ADS kit.
3.My son gave me an almost new head unit to use.
4.My cost will be the IPad Mini, $219 at Walmart, and the fabricating the mount, about $100.
5.I love DIY projects!
Wish me luck!

Last edited:

junkyard08

Established Member
Looks really good. Any pics of it without the iPad in there? I would love more details of how you did this

Jabooh1

Established Member
Agree!! This is good and clean. Can you provide what the faceplate/mount look like and a complete parts list? I would do this in a heartbeat.

scott_0

Established Member
wow! thats awesome! I have the ADS kit and love it, btw the amount that the ipad sits up higher is very very small, but I will admit accessing the climate controls on the headunit can be a pain over the physical buttons

califsp

Established Member
Answers to questions I'm getting:

Paint: SEM has an exterior charcoal metallic trim paint that is spot on for our face plate.

As I described, I wanted to retain the factory climate controls. Unfortunately, they are connected to the factory audio in one unit. So, I got a face plate and the audio/climate controls on ebay for $34. I kept my factory stuff just in case I need to return it to stock. Since I mounted the IPad in front of the audio controls, I removed all the buttons and ground it all down flat. I did not distrub the circiut board. Also, I cut the face plate up and glued parts of it to the back of my new face plate so it would attach to the dash like the factory one.

The inside of the IPad mount: I haven't decided what to do there. I think I should have just painted it. Thought I'd polish it but its a pain. Any ideas? I can't add anyting like felt because its already tight so it won't rattle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread