Finished my Meziere electric water pump install

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Yesterday, I installed my raptor shift light in the morning and then installed my electric water pump in the afternoon.

Overall the install was pretty easy. I had to run to the hardware store in the middle of it to get some new allen wrenches to tighten the bolts that came with the kit. The allen head bolts that came with the kit sit behind the idler pulley and you cannot get a regular allen wrench on them because of the slight angle that was necessary. So, I bought a set of allen wrenches that have the rounded ball ends so that they can go into the bolt heads at a slight angle.

Also, by comparing the size of the new idler pulley to the size of my Steeda underdrive water pump pulley, I figured out that I needed a belt that was 2.5 inches shorter than the stocker. The Gatorback stocker belt is # 4060980. The last 3 numbers are the size. One that is 2.5" shorter is the belt #4060955.

The under-hood 12 Volt switched source that I used to trip the relay kit was the red wire off of the MAF. After looking at the wiring diagram for my car, I realized that this wire is tied in with all the other 12 V switched red wires for the IAC, EGR, etc. and they all run off of the same circuit. Besides, the current draw to trip the relay closed is very small, and the larger current drawn by the water pump comes straight from the line between the alternator and the battery.

After "burping" the coolant as I filled the system, I started the car to watch the temp gauge. Maybe it was because I was sitting there watching it, but it seemed as though it took longer than usual to warm up by just idling there. Either it seemed to take longer becuase I was watching it, or it actually did take longer (which would be a good sign that the coolant flow with the electric water pump is much better at idle that with the old mechanical pump.)

Anyway, as for the performance difference. It felt about the same as the improvement for when I put on my underdrive pulleys. If I had to make a measurement with my butt-dynomometer, it would measure around 8 to 10 WHP. ;-)

Oh, and as for the raptor shift light... awsome!! :rockon: :-D This should definitely be one of the first mods that people do to their cars. I love not having to watch the tach or worry about hitting the rev limiter. :beer:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
i've seen people lose HP/Tq with the water pump

ok that comment came straight out of the rectum...

how would going from a WP that draws power, to a idler pulley, cost power? easy answer, it doesn't...it can't...

Mach0ne351

Established Member
the electric pump gives power..it doesnt take it away. but it has been told to me, that it really isnt recommend for "street" use. but oh well....thanks for the install help on that badboy!

UCBeau

CobraGuy99 said:
Who? Worthless comment without something to back it up.
corral.net, there was a pretty big thread about electric water pumps, some guys dyno'd and lost some hp/tq. go look on corral.

UCBeau

quick01snake said:
ok that comment came straight out of the rectum...

how would going from a WP that draws power, to a idler pulley, cost power? easy answer, it doesn't...it can't...
idler pulley? i'm a bit confused by what you mean by that.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
idler = a dead pully that takes little or no friction to spin.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
I haven't spent too much time over on corrat.net, but there are quite a few threads about this over on mach1registry.

It seems that on every board there is a little controversy about using electric water pumps. I'll summarize the arguments for everyone:

Pros:
1. reduces parasitic losses ==> more power to the wheels
2. engine temps are more stable, even with repeated 1/4 mile runs or high speed WOT runs
3. you can turn it on in the staging lanes between runs to cool your engine down while the motor is off
4. if you break or throw a belt, you could still drive home without killing your motor.

Cons:
1. You don't gain any power
2. Not reliable enough for daily use
3. Waste of money
4. If it malfunctions, you wouldn't know it and you'd kill your engine.

Those are the arguments for each side, but what about the facts? Here's what I found in doing my research before I bought it. (For a "fact" I look for personal experience by forum users and what they actually say themselves. I exclude second hand vague statements like "So-and-so got no gains", "I heard...", etc.)

Power gains: Of the people that have dynoed just a water pump install over on mach1registry, Vic229, Chaucer, JDraper all gained 11 to 12 WHP in this thread. There have been two people over there that dynoed and saw no gains or a loss: Jester and Shaken not Stir. Shaken not Stir saw no gains, but also added back rims and tires that wieghed 6lbs more each than the wheels and tires he had on the first time he dynoed. Jester also added the accufab TB and lost 7 WHP. But the consensus was that his baseline dyno was actually kind of high for the mods that he had.

Looking at those facts (more people saw gains around 11 to 12 WHP, than not) and the fact that any dyno can vary up to 5 to 10 WHP from day to day, if you actually gained no power to the wheels then the average gain should be zero with deviations equal on both sides. But the facts are that the average gain is closer to 7 to 8 WHP with all things considered.

Reliability: The only issue I have read about was Vic229 in this thread where after 38,700 miles the pulley bearings went out. Meziere rebuilt the whole thing and has since changed the design of the idler pulley and bearings.

As for "Con 3." (waste of money). That is just an opinion. Even if there were no gain, i would still be happy with it due to "pros 2 to 4". So it is definitely not a waste for me.

As for "Con 4." I would like to install a dummy warning buzzer that will go off if the engine temp rises above a certain set point.

Now for my experience, I can tell a very slight difference in the performance. It pulls just a little bit harder. I also like the temperature stability and the ability of turning the pump on in the staging lanes to cool down between runs. So, I am happy with the results :thumbsup:

Jamie R.

Established Member
Nice!!! I have been waiting to see a post up about one of those pumps on a '01. I am considering getting one also.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
*Update*

I went to the track for the first time since installing my electric water pump. I ran 9 times in about 1 hour 20 minutes. Most of those were hot-lapped with about 5 -7 minutes inbetween run. Before if I hot-lapped my car, my trap speeds would start dropping after about 3 to 4 times due to engine heat soak. Yesterday, my trap speeds never dropped and the car never felt like it was starting to lose power. Actually, my fastest (trap speed) pass was a third pass in a row! I beat my PB by 0.2 sec. I'd attribute about half of that to the EWP and the other half to better launches.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Sweet. This is on my list of stuff to do.

I have some track days (both strip and road course) that I want to do and it's already in the 90's almost every day.

Its just a few months early. This summer is gonna sucks down here.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's definetely on my list of things to do. I open track my car and I'd like to go to a March Fluid Damper. I'll do that as well as the Mexier water pump and a 180 thermstat at the same time.

How much less does the mezier pump weigh then the stock piece? I'm sure it's got to save at least a couple pounds.

01yellercobra

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
idler pulley? i'm a bit confused by what you mean by that.

The pulley on the front of the meizere is just an idler pulley. That's what he was referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread