Finished my Mac longtube w/ 3" exhaust install!

Satin03

Established Member
Well, I finally decided to do the longtube install after weeks of putting it off due to lack of interest. The project was no joke to say the least.

After much debate and trying different exhausts I finally decided on the following setup:
- Mac Longtubes (only because I got a really good deal on a set)
- Dr Gas Stainless Steel 3" X-pipe
- Mac 3" IRS Catback

I first decided to have the longtubes ceramic coated as the Mac coating is crap and rusts out in no time. Then, I also had the Mac tailpipes coated in the same polished ceramic coating because the aluminized piping looked like ass! Then I ordered the Dr Gas 3" X.

The longtube install was a PITA. I did it in my garage using jackstands which makes the job less than interesting to say the least. Then onto the mid-pipe install. This was no joke! Dr. Gas sends their pipe disassembled and needing to be cut and eventually welded. Again, no fun was had here as I to mock this thing up laying on my back. The catback was obviously pretty straight forward.

I was very curious how the new setup was going to sound. My previous setup was stock manifolds to a UPR o/r x-pipe to the Mac 3" c/b. This sounded great as it was. Much to my surprise the longtube and 3" Dr Gas actually quieted it down at idle and crusing but really wakes up at WOT. It has a much more deepened refined sound which is usually not the case with an x-pipe.

Overall I am very happy with the results and hope this to be the last of the exhausts for awhile.

If I could change anything at all, it would be a different longtube setup. I mean, the Mac's were pretty straight forward to install and fit great but they neck down to a 2.5" collector . Hindsight I would have gone with the Kooks or ARH headers. In any case, I am not in any hurry to do another install.

Here are a couple pics:
IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Wow nice work, that is some serious plumbing! Looks like ground clearance may be an issue, are you scraping more now? Post a sound clip if you can.

Satin03

Established Member
No, actually no dragging yet. Time will tell. I will say that it actually tucks up nicer than the UPR I pulled off. The only reason it hangs as low as it does is because of the flowtubes on the Mac c/b. For some reason Mac angled them down a bit. I should mention however that I had to notch the cross member which can be seen in the first pic. That's the down side to the Dr Gas. The crossover tube lies just beneath the trans.

I'll try to get some sound clips over the next couple days.

Satin03

Established Member
Thanks! Yeah, the chambered muffler probably isn't the optimum choice but I do love the sound. I was more worried about the 2.5" neck-down at the collector. Oh well.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I emailed ARH specifically about a full 3" setup. Nick is going to do me a custom setup of 1 7/8 long tubes, 3" collector, 3" x pipe, and send me 3" flanges to modify whatever 3" catback I go with (bassani, mac, jba, magnaflow) so I will never have to bottleneck down to 2.5"

Your setup looks great though. I bet it sounds wicked.

Users who are viewing this thread