Fines in California for no CATS?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is it true that if a cop pulls you over in CA, inspects the car and determines that you do not have any cats he can give you a huge fine (not a fix-it-ticket)? If so, what is the amount of the fine?

....1 meeeeelllllion dollors?

Juiced-03

Established Member
I'm not sure if he can write that ticket. Honestly though, not many cops will want to get their knees dirty to look. They will usually write you a ticket which will require you to get a smog check. If you dont pass the smog or fail to get it smogged you will be given a huge fine. But all you have to do is put on your stock H and you will be fine. I run no cats by the way.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Ive heard that its 700per cat.

Strange u should ask this question....if ur driving like a mad man on the street....im sure u will get a ticket. Other then that id been pulled over twice & the cop was actually really cool about mods.

Lucky u can say ;-)

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I ran catless on my SS for a year. I got real sick of it. Put high flow cats on and everything was right again with the world.

Im getting a catted H pipe for my Cobra soon. Can't stand that smell of no cats.

gud2goe

Established Member
aaahhh,,hold the phone. i used to live in socal,,if i am not mistaken failure to have cats is an impound offense. meaning they can impound your car. cali also has wnat i think is called a "kings x" clause law,,,,which means if you get a fixit ticket or say registration ticket on a friday you cannot be cited again till monday as you cant get to the dmv or the like to get it fixed(i know the clause exists i dont no to what offenses and to what extent) smog laws are state and federally regulated. i would agree that you prolly wont have any problems but you make the choice.
we could get a way with it in az but our emission check wasnt half as bad as cali

gud2goe

Established Member
aaahhh,,hold the phone. i used to live in socal,,if i am not mistaken failure to have cats is an impound offense. meaning they can impound your car. cali also has wnat i think is called a "kings x" clause law,,,,which means if you get a fixit ticket or say registration ticket on a friday you cannot be cited again till monday as you cant get to the dmv or the like to get it fixed(i know the clause exists i dont no to what offenses and to what extent) smog laws are state and federally regulated. i would agree that you prolly wont have any problems but you make the choice. i would just call a smog or speed shop and get the scoup to be sure...
we could get a way with it in az but our emission check wasnt half as bad as cali

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Aren't there any CA cops on this site that can comment? It's not that I don't trust what's being said it's the varying degree of penalty. Fine vs. IMPOUNDING?!?!!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Go to the donut shop on here and see what they say. There are quite a few cops over there who would probably know!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
California CVC section 42001.14(a) covers the altering, modifying or disconnecting of all required pollution control devices. It is considered an infraction, and as such is not an "impoundable" offense. First conviction is punishable by a fine of not more than $100 or less than $50.

Now if your a business who alters or removes a device, you will face much stiffer penalties, however they are not covered under the CVC, they would be covere by the B & P codes.

EDIT

Actually, I was wrong. the citing section for higher fines would come from the California H & S Code, not B & P. Section 43008.6 (a-b) allows the courts to collect up to $1,500 per offense or failure to pass smog due to tampering.

The EPA statutes would have to be cited and the case heard in a Federal court. If the officer utilized the CVC and H & S sections, the money would stay locally. With that said, which way do you think it will go?

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
According to Environmental Protection Agency's website it is illegal to ever remove a catalytic converter on any car, regardless of the age of the vehicle. There is also a $2,500 fine for individuals for tampering with it.

Question: Is it illegal to take off the catalytic converter on a car?

Answer: Yes. It is a violation of federal law to tamper with the environmental equipment on your car.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Would CHP enforce an EPA law? I imagine if the cop was having a bad day he could really tear your car up but I wonder if they would get into EPA regs?

maoun

Established Member
i've been checked several times for cats...and yes, by CHP too.

they wrote a friend of mine a smog check ticket the other day

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by maoun
i've been checked several times for cats...and yes, by CHP too.

they wrote a friend of mine a smog check ticket the other day

So do you run cats?

What's a smog check ticket? I am new to CA.

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
Here in Florida I spoke with a cop that pulled me over for an exhaust check in my old 2002GT. He said that if I didn't have cats on it that It was a federal offense and could fine me as much as $5000.00 :eek:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by JPKII
Would CHP enforce an EPA law? I imagine if the cop was having a bad day he could really tear your car up but I wonder if they would get into EPA regs?

In my 25 plus years I never observed such a thing, which is why I didn't quote EPA statutes in my response.

It may be a violation, however the last time I saw an EPA employee with a creeper was.............well, I never have around here......but then maybe they do things differently in Chicago.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
So do you run cats?

What he is refering to (I think) is a fix-it cite that will require that you submit your vehicle for a smog check. Of course, all you have to do is re-install all required equipment, get the car certified, remove the equipment and go on with life.

Last edited:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
So do you run cats?

:??: U cant ASK M. that Question. :nonono:

Sorry M. This isnt an attack at ya.

But M. gets pulled over more then any one i know. Also his Unique Personality is some times looked at strangly.

Bro.....just be cool with the Cops :shrug: My Exhaust on my 03 Cobra hit 118db & that was loud as heck. Motorcycle cop chased me down....but he just wanted to check out the car :beer:

Other time dude just gave me a verbal warning not to tail gate & said keep it cool on the Gas :D.

BTW there are Cops that are into Cars in Cali....the would go after the Ricers more then an American Car. But id say just drive nicely with out being a Jerk & u'll do fine bro.

Users who are viewing this thread