Finely finished my Tremec magnum xl swap....kinda

benzopyrene

Established Member
Well, thought I was done with everything last night. and pushed the car out into the driveway so I didnt wake up my sleeping girls. Did a Tremec magnum xl swap with new mcleod RXT clutch and alluminum flywheel. Alluminum DS also put in ARH Long tube headers and BMR kmember. Anyway, got in to start the car up and turned the key over and all I got was a loud clicking/knocking sound. Engine never actually turned over. I gave up for the night after that. Only thing I can think of is its the started, but any suggestions are welcome at this point in time. Lights and radio and everything else electrical seems to be working fine. Starter went on easy, but maybe like I said its not engaged. Thanks for any advice you all can give me

bigblue95z

Established Member
If it's a repeated clicking sound, that's usually a dead battery that doesn't have enough juice to run the starter. What's battery voltage with KoffEoff? What about while it's 'cranking'? If it's at or below about 9v cranking, may want to throw your battery on a charger.

benzopyrene

Established Member
ill check and try that as it has been just sitting in the garage for a couple of months while Ive been working on this. Its just interesting to me that the lights seem to flash each time when it clicks too. all the gauges are on, but they like vibrate as the needles seem to shake too. Thanks for the idea and Ill report back

jbou91

Established Member
ill check and try that as it has been just sitting in the garage for a couple of months while Ive been working on this. Its just interesting to me that the lights seem to flash each time when it clicks too. all the gauges are on, but they like vibrate as the needles seem to shake too. Thanks for the idea and Ill report back

Definitely sounds like the batterys low

speedfreak94

Established Member
I've seen this before. The problem, as I understand it, are the crappy ring gears being used on nearly every aftermarket flywheel out there (not a McLeod-specific issue). Anyways, what you are likely experiencing is the starter gear binding against the ring gear. DO NOT attempt to continue starting it, or you will chunk the starter or ring gear. You can usually fix the problem by taking the starter out, and opening up the starter window in the bellhousing block plate with a dremmel to move the starter out slightly. Reinstall the starter as far outward as the bolt holes in the starter casting will allow. You're only trying to get another .010-.020". That should remedy the issue. Good luck!

speedfreak94

Established Member
Sorry, when saw the post before signing in, it didn't show any of the other replies, just your original post. Yeah, checking the battery wouldn't hurt either--haha! If you've got juice and the problem persist, then see my last comment! Keep us posted!

benzopyrene

Established Member
Thanks guys! Will report back this weekend when I get a chance to work on the car again. Will also try to post a video of this if the problem persists.

benzopyrene

Established Member
UPDATE: Hey guys thanks! Charged my battery overnight and put it back in this am. Sure enough the thing fired right up! I appreciate it. Will post some pics and videos soon! Cheers all!

benzopyrene

Established Member
So my battery has been dying. I have a parasitic draw from somewhere...its about 1.4 amps. It was originally 2.1 ams, but I found that the fuse I tapped into must have had power to it all the time. Since then I changed the tap to a fuse that had the original reverse lockout solenoid attached to it, but like I said still have 1.4 amp draw so looking for suggestions for anyone who has done this swap. Everything is soldered nicely with shrink over top and heat guard over the wires. As far as wiring goes I resoldered the original reverse light connectin from the MT82 onto the tremec and used the stock connector. I wired in a samoco reverse lockout solonoid per their instructions, and the abbott box provided by JPC for the speedo.

Users who are viewing this thread