Finding a Stock Steering Wheel for 97

fullofvenom

Established Member
Ford doesn't seem to sell a saddle steering wheel to match my stocker. Will a saddle one from a GT or V6 fit on the Cobra? Not sure if there was any difference between them. They seem similar, but I'm just curious if anyone's ever swapped for one of those. I'm sure I could rustle one of those up from a junkyard.

Short of that idea, I don't know where else I could get one.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Yea Im in need of a stock saddle steering wheel as well. I have seen 2 go on ebay for 100 bucks so far. 50resto.com has them for 327.99<---crazy ass price. Anywayz, just make sure you get a leather steering wheel, I believe the GT's had the leather wrapped wheels like the Cobra's did, I know for sure that the v6 steering wheels aren't leather.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Go talk to the guy in the Market. He gives OEM Ford parts 10% over cost. Im waiting to hear back from him on other stuff. :D

duane v

Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
Broken how? You can replace the airbag covers.
Absolutely...when I painted my steering wheel black, I removed the air-bag component from the cover, it was real easy....DA snake boy!!!

duane v

Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
I wasnt asking.

Well, I was asking how you meant "broken". I know they can be replaced, mine have been twice.
I just couldnt think of a reason to change the steering wheel unless it was broken :shrug: ...DA snake boy!!!

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Personally I do not like covers. If I keep this car or get another, I would probably go with a stocker or the FR500 (which is also thicker).

fullofvenom

Established Member
duane v said:
I just couldnt think of a reason to change the steering wheel unless it was broken :shrug: ...DA snake boy!!!

Its not broken, but it looks like ass. The saddle color has totally faded and the leather is pealing pretty badly. Everytime I turn the wheel I pull a little piece off. Very flakey. It looks like someone tried to use some sort of cleaner on it that ruined the leather (could be just the way it wore through the years). In any case, it needs to be replaced and I want to keep the color. The FRP catalog only lists a black one and I don't think that looks good with the rest of the interior being saddle.

Thanks for the input guys.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I just saw a guy on e-bay selling a ton of 96 to 98 parts off of a Cobra, and he had a Saddle steering wheel for sale. It may have been a little rough but i'm really not sure, i'll try and find the link and i'll let you know.

Lightning LA said:
I just saw a guy on e-bay selling a ton of 96 to 98 parts off of a Cobra, and he had a Saddle steering wheel for sale. It may have been a little rough but i'm really not sure, i'll try and find the link and i'll let you know.

Yea I saw that one, wasnt in good shape. The last 2 I saw go on ebay were in perfect shape...I didnt jump on it though :nonono:

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Damn peanut butter interior. Ford quit selling em and now some company repros them for 5-0 Resto and it's a small fortune. I'd rather have cooler stuff on my Cobra for $330+shipping. I am so tempted to get a black one for $200 or less. It actually doesn't look that bad being the top half of everything is black in the car too.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
theres a cover thingie over mine :poke: i think it was getting kind of crappy under there lol.
I believe the GT's had the leather wrapped wheels like the Cobra's did

^^ yep, youe correct

IMAG0010.gif

Last edited:

Slide It

Track Rat
Established Member
Saddle Steering Wheel

I have a Saddle steering wheel, Airbag and front and rear seats out of my 98 Cobra that are going up on ebay in a week or so. I am organizing storage and I don't think I need this anymore. My car has morphed into a full time track car anyway. This stuff is in excellent condition and has been in climate controlled storage with wrappers. It all came off my car at 25000 miles 1 year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread