Financing your future cobra/ car?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
USAA or Navy Federal as well

USAA will loan up to 120% of BLACK BOOK VALUE which always leaves money for mods after purchase

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I know this is off topic, but since Haggerty was mentioned....where do you guys insure your cars - for the ones that don't drive much etc? Last 04 I had, I was able to go through Haggerty or someone and get full coverage for 'driven less than 3000 miles per year' for like $120 a year. So the one I have now, I just bought, arranged for shipping then checked into insurance. Called several of these places to be told it wasn't old enough blah blah. So I called Geico who I'm with and as soon as I told them it had different exhaust even, they told me it was modified and they wouldn't cover. Of course they told me they had a collectible area too, but when transferred, my car wasn't old enough. So, I ended up calling back to Geico again and just saying it was stock to get covered. With telling them less than 3k per year, I still pay around $100/mo, no tickets and I'm 48 with like 5 other cars....WTF

I called around for collector car insurance awhile back. They all had age discriminators set at 25 years or older for a driver of the vehicle. Since I like to share my cars with my 2 teenage sons, I’m forced to pay daily driver rates for my cars through USAA. Having teenage boys and a growing fleet of performance cars puts my insurance in the stupid-high category. Once my boys are 25+, I’ll switch to an agreed value collector policy.

HPLouis

Established Member
I use Grundy for insurance since the Cobra spends most of it's time sitting in the garage.

Have you asked your insurance for storage coverage when you're not driving it to save some money on insurance? My wife and I have 3 other cars so in the winter, we place both Lexus' on storage insurance and drive the Pathfinder. In the summer, we put the Pathfinder on storage and drive the Lexus'

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
I just purchased my 03 Cobra 2 months ago and my credit union gave me a 2.25 percent interest rate for 72 months and don't have to make my first payment until the 3rd month. I drove 26 hours round trip for my car and was worth it. Got a great price on a 18k mile 03 cobra...

Magdaleno hernandez

I just purchased my 03 Cobra 2 months ago and my credit union gave me a 2.25 percent interest rate for 72 months and don't have to make my first payment until the 3rd month. I drove 26 hours round trip for my car and was worth it. Got a great price on a 18k mile 03 cobra...
What was your credit score if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying get a loan as well for I can get my first cobra. And I'm planning on going to my local credit union. Thanks!

Sent from my E6810 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cschuette

Established Member
Damn you guys are lucky... My credit score last pull was over 800... And two credit unions wouldn't finance the car, and a large chain bank wouldn't either.

Some guys have all the luck lol

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Damn you guys are lucky... My credit score last pull was over 800... And two credit unions wouldn't finance the car, and a large chain bank wouldn't either.

I’m over 800 too, but it’s more than that... I’ve been with USAA for about 30 years. I’ve financed and insured a crap-ton of stuff through them. At this stage, I just pick up the phone and only hear: “yes sir... no problem.” They will basically finance anything for any amount. I’m quite positive it all can be attributed to my long history with them and the fact that I’ve never had a late payment on anything ever.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I financed mine through WPCU for 60 months I think APR was high 3 or right at 4%. They went 120% of value can’t remember which book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
You could always try these guys.
https://www.jjbest.com/auto-finance....+best&utm_content=1384644x695854578685591466

Usually credit unions are good to work with and they have great rates. I financed my '13 Roush Stage 3 with one and got a killer monthly payment. It was 100 bucks less a month, but added one year to the loan. No biggie. I financed it for 7 years,..........paid off in less than 3. I use that extra 100 bucks savings towards adding to the payments. I forget what the interest rate was, but it was silly low. Something like 1.9%.
I'm financing my '16 Ram Sport 4X4 rcsb with Chase Auto Finance. My interest rate is 2.49% at 7 years. I put 0 down. Financed everything, taxes, everything. I love financing for longer terms. It gives me a lower monthly payment, which I have the truck paid off for the complete 2018 year. No payment due till the end of January, 2019.
I may try to refinance with the credit union to see if I can get the monthly payment any lower and pay it off that much quicker.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Best thing to do for financing is to call around and find an institution that uses “cars of particular interest” black book. It has a realistic valuation for older collectible cars and most places will use that for the loan rather than kbb

Gef

Established Member
I financed an 04 COBRA with 99k miles 3.49% for 60 months through Pentagon Federal Credit union. To join them you deposit 22.00(which includes a 17.00 donation to a charity) and that was it.

gumtp00

Established Member
I financed my 03 cobra through my local credit union. It wasnt the most ideal situation but was the best option for me. They will loan 125% of book value,which I was able to get as the purchase price.Then i had to pay for DMV fees out of pocket.

thatdude305

Established Member
I went with Navy Fed as well. The funny part was the girl was really surprised at what the car was valued at. And according to my buddy she was hitting on me. I didn't care though. I just wanted my money so I could get my car.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

When I got mine, they said the value was $18k. I had to explain to them what it is and what they typically go for, but Ive had 2 auto loans already with them that I paid off over a year early so I didnt have an issue.

thatdude305

Established Member

You have to go with a creit union or bank that you have used previous. In the last 4 years I've paid off two cars with Navy Fed. They valied the car at Around $19k so they said the loan to value was too high, but I explained to them what exactly the car is. If youir credit score is over 800 with recent vehicle credit and a solid income, you should have no issue. You should be able to walk into any bank and get a loan.

cschuette

Established Member
You have to go with a creit union or bank that you have used previous. In the last 4 years I've paid off two cars with Navy Fed. They valied the car at Around $19k so they said the loan to value was too high, but I explained to them what exactly the car is. If youir credit score is over 800 with recent vehicle credit and a solid income, you should have no issue. You should be able to walk into any bank and get a loan.

I think it's more the bank than anything... I've used this credit union since I was 16 and had my first motorcycle loan. Credit score over 800, 70k a year and still no dice. Simply see the car valued far lower than asking price. I know better, but there program doesn't. The other thing I'm blown away by, is the interest rates you all see with credit unions lol I have never had a loan through my local CU lower than 3%. Gah... My ass hurts reading your comments! Lmao

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
If you are military or ex military, look no further than USAA! They have financed all of my non-cash cars. I paid cash for my last Terminator, but I temporarily financed my 2000 Cobra R in the Fall of ‘16 with them. They financed the entire purchase price, which is waaay more than a Terminator and the rate was somewhere in the 2% range. The loan process is quick/easy and they send a check right away. I’ve got nothing but good things to say about them.

Yep!!! I agree 100%. Being retired from the Army after 22 years and going through USAA to finance my coupe was no big deal because the car was only 4 years old at the time. However, when I bought my Vert in 2016 they gave me NO/ZERO issues when I applied for the loan and the interest rate was pretty good too.

They also give up to 120% of the value in case you need it. USAA has always been great when it comes to my financial needs.

thatdude305

Established Member
I think it's more the bank than anything... I've used this credit union since I was 16 and had my first motorcycle loan. Credit score over 800, 70k a year and still no dice. Simply see the car valued far lower than asking price. I know better, but there program doesn't. The other thing I'm blown away by, is the interest rates you all see with credit unions lol I have never had a loan through my local CU lower than 3%. Gah... My ass hurts reading your comments! Lmao

Really, wow. I never paid more than 4% on a vehicle. I was 2.75% on my Lightning. Usually credit unions have the lowest rates because they are unregulated. How much is the price of the car? Year and miles?

cschuette

Established Member
And by no means am I bragging. I'm high 700's with income in the upper $40's

No man not at all - I don't mean to come off as arguing either. I am extremely happy for you folks that are able to finance these cars with such low interest. So with that being said...

I like to drive generally cheaper cars - I guess my thing is to buy cheap cars, fix them and flip them. I do this at least 5 times a year. Most of my loans are on vehicles that are older, and I'll run the term out to 60 months - 72 if I can. Just due to my nature of flipping the cars I guess cheapest payment is ok for me.

Maybe my CU is annoyed at how many times they deal with me taking one out and paying it off that they screw me? lol Hard telling.

But again - I certainly don't mean to sound like the asshole who is arguing so don't think that please. Just simply stating I am jealous of you folks!

Users who are viewing this thread