Financial Transaction Card Fraud

ademily87

Established Member
Am I a victim of Credit Card Fraud?

***IF IT WOULD HELP, I CAN FORWARD AN EMAIL OF THE COPY OF THE AGREEMENT!! JUST ASK!!***

Long story short, I live on a boat at a marina, and they haven't been keeping track of my payments. I get an email from the main guy at the marina office OCT 01, around 10pm saying I was past due for Sep and still owe the security deposit of $433.

I said no, I am not, and sent him a copy of my bank statement from Sep showing I made my payment on SEP 04. He emails me back and says I will look into this further and get back to you.

Fast forward to this past Friday, I'm having dinner with my wife and go to pay and the waitress comes back telling me my card was declined. I know that's not right, so I go on my phone and check my bank account, and the marina took out $1000 with my card info that they keep on file without as much as even contacting me through email or phone.

Their is only one section of my lease that makes me worry they were allowed to do this and it goes as follows;

"Boat owner must provide a valid credit card and authorization for license fees due under this license agreement."

It seems very vague to me, and I just want another opinion. A professional opinion would be nice :D

I can't figure out how to save the copy of my agreement to post on here, but if someone thinks they can help clarify what the above statement means, it would help a lot and I can forward you the email of the agreement!!

As of right now I'm waiting for it to leave the "pending status" on my bank account so I can call and report it as fraud. I'm gonna get this greedy bastard for all I can. In the state of South Carolina, Financial Transaction Card Fraud is a Federal Felony and it will be treated as such, if I have the case.

Thanks in advance!!

Justin

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ademily87

Established Member
Don't be afraid to ask. It's not a 20 page document or anything haha. I need help guys its driving me insane!!

DepWraith

Established Member
I'm no attorney, but it appears they are only allowed to bill for license fees that are due to them...so if they take any money that wasn't due I would say it was fraud.

ademily87

Established Member
I'm no attorney, but it appears they are only allowed to bill for license fees that are due to them...so if they take any money that wasn't due I would say it was fraud.

That's what I was thinking. It's just driving me insane having $1000 floating around in limbo for daysss!! I'm in the middle of buying a house and this isn't helping!!

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Well it was already stated you were up to date on your fees. So there shouldnt have been any deductions at all. So if you have the bank statements to prove it you shouldnt have any problem getting it back. And I would be pissed.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
It sounds like you need a buddy named Vinny to visit him. Have a long talk about the virtues of cement shoes while going on long fishing expeditions.......

ABOVE COMMENT IS A JOKE!

Call your attorney or get a good one and fix this quick. They will be able to look at everything and tell you what you can and can't do. The correct information and next step is key here.

Last edited:

desertt5

Established Member
Do you get any kind of receipt for your payments? I would go to their office with any paperwork you have, including the $1000 hold/ charge and talk to them directly.

jbs$

Established Member
This is why you should use credit cards, not debit cards. If this was a credit card transaction, you could just dispute the charge, the bank would charge their account, and that would be the end of it. With a debit card the prick has your money and nobody but you really gives a damn.

ademily87

Established Member
Do you get any kind of receipt for your payments? I would go to their office with any paperwork you have, including the $1000 hold/ charge and talk to them directly.

I have bank statements showing each payment to them. Also have the agreement that THEY signed saying they received my security deposit that they're trying to say I still owe as well.

Anything happen?

My credit union is working on it. Will know for sure in 5 days!! They said it should be an easy win because they were able to check with visa (i use a visa check card) and they're not even listed for approval for automatic payments, much less being able to run my card at any time without my permission.

This is why you should use credit cards, not debit cards. If this was a credit card transaction, you could just dispute the charge, the bank would charge their account, and that would be the end of it. With a debit card the prick has your money and nobody but you really gives a damn.

Navy Federal Credit Union is pretty good about taking care of things like this. I've had something similar happen before but for much less than $1000 and they took care of me very quickly. Also I don't have any credit cards besides my Military star card that I can only use on base. My father made me promise to swear em off when I was a little kid while watching him chop up my moms and any other ones that came in the mail lol :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread