Finally started my hiring process

03cobraracer

Established Member
Well after 5 years in the Army I'll be getting out in December. I applied for Savannah-Chatham metro police here in GA. Took my PT test today and had no trouble. I have my oral board Monday and my polygraph on Tuesday. Really hoping everything goes well and I can proceed forward.

Any advice you LEO's can throw my way? I know with the poly just be honest which I will but I'll take any advice I can get. I'm a MP in the army so I've done law enforcement to an extent already but just don't want to screw this up lol.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Sounds like you have a lot of positives for you to begin with. Be honest during the entire process, not just the polygraph, as if the investigators find minor discrepancies, it could just make you another statistic of not getting it.

Good luck to you. LEO is a rewarding career despite all of the negatives that the media feeds the public.

98stangerSVT

Established Member
Congrats man. I suggest learning as much about the department and city as possible before your oral board. Know what the population is, square mileage is...etc. Find out how many officer's the department has, what special units there are, what shifts they work, etc. If you know a lot about the city/department it will make you stand out and seem as though you really want the job. It will also make you more confident in your interview. Do a ride along if ya can. Good luck to ya brother. Its a long, stressful process. Let us know how it turns out.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Thanks guys. I passed my oral board yesterday and just got done doing the polygraph wow that wasn't fun... Lol they said I should hear my results in a few days. I think it went well but who knows ha.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Thanks guys. I passed my oral board yesterday and just got done doing the polygraph wow that wasn't fun... Lol they said I should hear my results in a few days. I think it went well but who knows ha.

Most of the time when the polygraph is given, they aren't necessarily looking for skeletons in your past, but rather looking for deception in the answers you give. As long as you remained 100% honest with your answers, no matter how hard or weird it was, you should be okay.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Most of the time when the polygraph is given, they aren't necessarily looking for skeletons in your past, but rather looking for deception in the answers you give. As long as you remained 100% honest with your answers, no matter how hard or weird it was, you should be okay.
That might be true if polygraphs were actually accurate.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Yeah I should be fine but I try not to get my hopes up to much just incase. Academy is in January that I'm trying to get into so as long as it all goes well I should be heading for that one they said. BI, psych, and medical is all that's left.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
In San Jose, everyone is ranked on the oral board score (seniority is also ranked from that once hired on). Everything else, even though you do get scores, is pretty much pass/fail. Hope you did well!

Users who are viewing this thread