Finally ran a GTO

_DC

Established Member
Well I have been waiting to get a chance to run a GTO. They seem to be a very rare car on the streets of Chicago. Well Sunday was in the 80's so I washed the car and put the top down. Anyone familiar with the NW Burbs, I was on Dempster headed east through Park Ridge when a 5.7 GTO catches me in traffic. The two guys really wanted to race as they would rev there car every time we stopped. Finally we got a chance to race at the Dempster/Harlem Light. Actually I was stuck behind him but this was the only chance we would get.

The Race

They are revving the engine and inching forward when the turn arrow goes green. They jump a car length into the intersection and have to slam on the brakes. I time the arrow perfect and using the 10 foot gap between us slingshot around them through the intersection. I caught them by the end of first and chirped my rear tires right at there door. Took it up to near the end of 2nd and had a good 3 car lengths. No need to go any further nor was there really any room.

They pulled up to me at the waukegan light and we exchanged props. They wanted to know how much I paid for the supercharger. I politely informed them that it came with the car. Still fun cause I was dying to see what a GTO had. I have to say that I think a 5.7 TA or Camero is faster in stock form. Hard to say since every race is different but that is my opinion.

4lb lower
Bassani exhaust
accufab
C&L Intake
Nitto 555R's
Super Chip

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
nice race! Every GTO run I've been in has been some punk kid in a 04 Yellow that thinks he is a miracle runner, I usually slow down after 3 or 4 cars and let him catch up only for me to pull away while in 5th....

The 04's are not really a challenge to a stock Cobra. Even a Vert.

An 05 GTO is more of a challenge for a stock Cobra, as we typially put almost 30-40 more RWHP down (typical 05's put down 335-345 RWHP) it's usually the Cobra who is the victor.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Hmmmmm Dempster and Harlem... I'm working just a few miles from there in Skokie this week. Just have the rental Impala, though. How do you guys in Chicago ever race, the traffic is so heavy! I can't get over 35 driving to the hotel or to the airport.

_DC

Established Member
There are still a few spots to run to high speed. Usually 0-60ish is the limit in this area
If you want to go really fast I-294 is a good location. Around Deerfield it opens up to a 6 wide brand new concrete road. YAHOO!

Users who are viewing this thread