Finally hit the 12's!!

Sny714

Established Member
I bought this 01 cobra in April. A week after I bought it the car ran a 13.3 with 90% of the mods listed in my sig. The only thing that has been changed since Ive owned the car is the X pipe, 18" Fr500's, Springs/struts/shocks, IRS brace and DR's for the track. The car has been consistent with 13.0-13.1 the last 6times I ran since april. When I bought the car it wheelhopped really bad. I wasnt even able to heat up the Nittos at the track. Once the car was lowered the wheelhop dissapeared thank god. Now with the stiffer shocks in the rear and MT ET drag radials(275/40/17) I was able to smoke them up like butter, and pull a 1.7 60'!! I was so happy. That netted me a 12.9, twice. My only problem is, I know these cars are great with bolt ons but sooner or later you hit a wall, until you go Forced Induction. With my mods is 12.8-12.9 about the best Im going to get? I see thats average on here. My launch must be fine, my shifting is ok too, although Im not powershifting. I would really like a 12.5-12.6 out of this car without doing much more. Im thinking of doing an aluminum flywheel and ported intake over the winter. Hopefully that gets me 330-330whp and a mid 12sec slip. Below is the timeslip....its huge! Also, one of the highlights at the track yesterday was me outlaunching an evo that ended up running a 12.9 also. EDIT: Video link in Post #17.
Timeslips.jpg

Last edited:

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
nice! I didn't think the 275/40-17 MT's were worth anything when they have so low(?) side walls.

Sny714

Established Member
MrBrain said:
nice! I didn't think the 275/40-17 MT's were worth anything when they have so low(?) side walls.

First run I just smoked them up and launched without lowering the psi and got a pretty easy 1.9 60'. Second and third run I lowered the psi to 17 and slipped out the clutch around 4k and pulled the 1.7 60'. They feel better than the Nitto 315/35/17 I had.

Sny714

Established Member
Hi-Hat said:
Looks like the 1st race was pretty close!

The timeslip on the right was the 2nd run of the day, and it was against that evo I mentioned. I ended up crossing the finish line 1st by about 1/2 a car, yet the time slip says he got a better et. Im guessing since his reaction wasnt as low as mine, he still made it from point a to point b faster than I did. That was probably my best race of the day. I'll have video of it tonight.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
if you don't have a tune, then those numbers sound about right...congrats on the twelve...and you really need a tune...i wouldn't be surprised if you got 20 rwhp out of a good dyno tune....

i ran 12.92 w/ stock gears in the IRS, o/r h pipe, catback, shifter, WMS CAI, no tune, lowered on Eibach Pro kit springs, w/ 275/40-17 BFG DR's...what baffles me is that was on a 1.83 60', and i only trapped 105.xx...you have a better 60' and higher trap, but slower ET...must be the not powershifting that is costing you a tenth or so...

FWIW, w/ a switch to a JLT RAI, solid w/ 3.27's, control arms, a difference catback, aluminum flywheel, and a tune, the same car from above ran 12.55 @ 110

current one has the MPH, but yet to 60' well enough to beat the old 01's times...now w/ the 4.10's i should be able to do better...

Sny714

Established Member
quick01snake said:
if you don't have a tune, then those numbers sound about right...congrats on the twelve...and you really need a tune...i wouldn't be surprised if you got 20 rwhp out of a good dyno tune....

i ran 12.92 w/ stock gears in the IRS, o/r h pipe, catback, shifter, WMS CAI, no tune, lowered on Eibach Pro kit springs, w/ 275/40-17 BFG DR's...what baffles me is that was on a 1.83 60', and i only trapped 105.xx...you have a better 60' and higher trap, but slower ET...must be the not powershifting that is costing you a tenth or so...

FWIW, w/ a switch to a JLT RAI, solid w/ 3.27's, control arms, a difference catback, aluminum flywheel, and a tune, the same car from above ran 12.55 @ 110

current one has the MPH, but yet to 60' well enough to beat the old 01's times...now w/ the 4.10's i should be able to do better...

My car is tuned. It was tuned by a mustang shop here on Long Island with the previous owner, I have the receipt and everything. I dont think with a better tune I'll gain 20rwhp, 311rwhp is about average with my mods. Im going to be switching over to a JLT in the future but right now the bbk is working, and if it aint broke dont fix it. I am interested in doing an aluminum flywheel this winter though, even though its going to be a pita bc of the Longtubes.

Last edited:

Sny714

Established Member
98bullet said:
congrats, what car were you racing on the left time slip?

I was racing my friends bone stock honda s2000. The s2000 had an in car cam and its crazy to see how big of a gap 1 second is. I'll probably shorten the video of that and throw it on youtube tonight also. The first race of the day was against a lightning that ran 13.5 and I ran a 13.1 so I figured it wasnt worth mentioning.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The 4.10s are hurting you. You have to shift right before you cross the traps.

Sny714

Established Member
qwik01cobra said:
Congrats! The race with the Evo had to be pretty entertaining.

Yea it was. When I beat him off the line I was so happy. Throughout the whole race I kept looking over to see where he was. From the 1/8 mile mark on his nose stood at my rear bumper, so I was just praying I didnt miss any gears haha.

Sny714

Established Member
RedRocketMike said:
The 4.10s are hurting you. You have to shift right before you cross the traps.

No I dont. Im well into 4th gear before the traps. The 4.10's I think is the best modification I have on the car.

cobracide

Established Member
Sny714 said:
No I dont. Im well into 4th gear before the traps. The 4.10's I think is the best modification I have on the car.

Haven't done the 1/4 myself but I've always heard that you need to shift before the traps. 4.30's should help more though. I like the 4.10's for the street.

Sny714

Established Member
cobracide said:
Haven't done the 1/4 myself but I've always heard that you need to shift before the traps. 4.30's should help more though. I like the 4.10's for the street.

This is one of the first videos of me running the car. But you can see in the video when I shift into 4th gear, and its way before the traps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P17zbhO8iI4

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Sny714 said:

and your trap speed is?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The math says you should be shifting into 4th at about 96mph with 4.10s. Now I don't consider getting 10mph into 4th gear being way into 4th before the traps. But I guess if your shifting your car early than it will seem like your getting some use out of 4th gear.

Users who are viewing this thread