Finally got the local yellow 2005 GTO guy to give it up.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
I've had many run ins with the local 2005 Yellow GTO owner. I think he keeps trying to beat me on the road, and then goes and gets upgrads and then tries again a few weeks later.

Today coming home from the vet's office, there he is running thru traffic to catch up with me.

I really wasn't in the mood to deal with this guy again, knowing that it's no challenge. I wait till he gets on me a little bit and just drop the hammer. IN no time I'm pulling away from him like he is standing still. I shut down at 120 MPH not wanting to push my luck in the warmer weather, knowing cops are out today.

He caught up with me when I took my exit for home and followed me. I was wondering just what the guy was trying to do.

I pulled into my parking spot and he pulled in next to me.

Nice guy... the first words out of his mouth were "I've done just about everything I can to my car short of a turbo or nitrous and I still can't catch you"

He ended up being a very nice guy. He was just coming back from the dyno in Concord and showed me his dyno's. 427 to the wheels.

He asked me what I had and I showed him. I thought he was going to pass out when I said I only spent about $2300 on mods. So far he claims he has dropped almost $4000 in mods.

We parted as I walked up the walkway to my condo with him saying "I'm going to make sure I warn my friends with GTO's not to bother if they see you."

WHen he pulled out I have to give him some credit. The LS2 sounds damn fine with aftermarket exhaust.

Silver 03 Cobra

Local dealer has had the first yellow '05 GTO since the first one came out. They moved it from the front center display pad where it sat for 3-4 months to back in the lot. They still have a couple of 04's. I'd be curious what he did to get 425 rwhp with just bolt-ons and no squeeze.

caindo

Established Member
the 05s are getting about 370whp stock right? whys it so hard to think 50whp inst obtainable through intake/exhaust/tune and headers or something?

Tman

Established Member
Sounds like you ran into a cool guy there! I agree that to gain 50 at the wheels on those cars is pretty easy and watch out if he snaps on some kind of FI it could be a nice match! :beer:

Canada

Established Member
I've seen a *couple* dyno charts of LS2s at 390-395 whp with only a K&N drop-in.

Has he had a different camshaft put in yet? Thats a good way to make power on that engine.

Gen III V8 parts are epensive.....but they work well.

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
My neighbor has an '04 with an automatic (zzzzzzzzzzzzz). He tries to race me all the time. I have beaten him once (when he first got it) and since then I refuse to race until he gets some mods that will change the outcome. Hey, gas is expensive, why waste the $! :) I agree though, it does sound pretty mean under WOT. Maybe some gears, torque converter and a re-program of the shift points would help. It is a nice ride!

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
They aren't putting down 370 stock... or 390 with a K&N for that matter. Go to Corvetteforum.com and/or ls1gto.com; most put down 335 - 355 stock, and with CAI and full exhaust get in the 360 - 375 range. This guy probably had exhaust, CAI, and cam; if not heads as well. Regardless, good kill.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
Logan2003Cobra said:
They aren't putting down 370 stock... or 390 with a K&N for that matter. Go to Corvetteforum.com and/or ls1gto.com; most put down 335 - 355 stock, and with CAI and full exhaust get in the 360 - 375 range. This guy probably had exhaust, CAI, and cam; if not heads as well. Regardless, good kill.

You are exactly right. I have visited that board and they talk about spending $5k+ on heads and cams to get to 450rwhp.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
caindo said:
the 05s are getting about 370whp stock right? whys it so hard to think 50whp inst obtainable through intake/exhaust/tune and headers or something?

LOL! Not even close. Bone stock the LS2 GTO's are typically around 340-355. I've heard of unusual ones doing 360.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Last I heard they still aren't clearing them for sale in Canada, anyone know different?
I'd be interested in seeing one run in the flesh, and to see GM a little better represented up here than Corvettes and last gen Camaro's and Firebirds, you just get tired of the same old designs running around...

I still wonder if the new Dodge Charger will be allowed in as well?

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
427 to the wheels sounds like a heads/cam/tune/bolt-on 2004 GTO. We don't have any 05 forum members with heads/cam yet. They are still in the works due to the new comp. ratio. Your Cobra must be a monster to walk him (I'm sure it is). Can this guy drive or is he a poser?

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
You are exactly right. I have visited that board and they talk about spending $5k+ on heads and cams to get to 450rwhp.

I got a quote of $4000 for a heads/cam/dyno tune/LT headers/cat back exhaust which will give me anywhere from 400-430 rwhp on my LS1.

Of course, I could get a nice NX wet kit and make the same HP for $850-900 for a stealthy install with gauges, switches, ect.

Hmmm. . . :idea:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Doc GTO said:
427 to the wheels sounds like a heads/cam/tune/bolt-on 2004 GTO. We don't have any 05 forum members with heads/cam yet. They are still in the works due to the new comp. ratio. Your Cobra must be a monster to walk him (I'm sure it is). Can this guy drive or is he a poser?

I didn't ask exactly what he had done to the car. It sounded like an exhaust though for sure. I'm not the best at hearing cams, I I couldn't tell ya.

I do know it's a 2005 for a fact. Exhaust on either side of the rear, fake hood scoops and the LS2 logo badge

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
The only mods out for the 05 is a cat-back exhaust and a CAI. He may have had those on already. With those bot-ons there is no way he could hang with your Cobra with your mods!

Thunder5.0

Established Member
A friend just bought an 05 GTO in blue. On the turnpike, from a 40 roll to 110 mph, I had him by a bumper. My car is a 99 Cobra with a KN and catted x-pipe. At the track, the GTO ran a 13.8@101 with a 2.0 60'. I think once he breaks it in, it will be a lot quicker.

BlkSVTCobra

Established Member
Logan2003Cobra said:

03/04's puttin down 350 stock. 05's putting down 400. Thats flywheel not rwhp.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Thunder5.0 said:
A friend just bought an 05 GTO in blue. On the turnpike, from a 40 roll to 110 mph, I had him by a bumper. My car is a 99 Cobra with a KN and catted x-pipe. At the track, the GTO ran a 13.8@101 with a 2.0 60'. I think once he breaks it in, it will be a lot quicker.

Yeh, that's slow. If he has less then 2500 (factory break in) miles then his computer will retard the timing so he cannot get full power. After 2500 that stops. The 04s had that but a dyno tune or Diablo tune would take that out. Since there is no tune for the 05s yet they have to ride that crap out!

My buddy at SGMP clipped of 13.0s at 107 with street tires and we have two forum members at 12.8 and 12.9. Of course, they are good drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread