Finally got some Nitto NT05R's on my Boss.

guarnibl

Established Member
And good lord do they hook. 1st gear is actually entirely useable at this point (assuming I don't dump the clutch too hard), too, which is incredible. I am running (last dyno) around 600 rwhp on 91 pump gas @ 10 PSI. Full exhaust (KOOKS, including side exhaust, but with baffles in (was too loud)), safe tune, 47 lb injectors.

Running the stock summer Pirelli's up front (not the LS ones) and Nitto NT05R 305/35R19's in the rear. Not sure how much life I will get but my stock ones probably would have lasted about 10,000 miles (I'm nearing 6,500 at this point).

Initially I thought about going to different wheels, but I actually am really enjoying the stock look for now.

It's good to see the power usable though.

But my next question is -- what would you run up front?

I don't daily drive in rain, so I'm considering running 275/35R19 Nitto NT05 (not the R) up front. This would put me in a similar tread pattern front and rear, and a similar ratio from stock.

I'm getting some heat soak at high temperatures, so I am probably going to run E85 here soon once temps reach 100 consistently in Phoenix.

Is it possible to run 305's up front on the 10" wheels? I was thinking I could do that and run it completely square (and be able to rotate) but I wasn't sure about stock offsets being able to clear up front.

Only negative at this point is it needs an alignment pretty bad after being beat on for 6,500 miles (and geometry change from the FRPP lower control arm kit I'm sure didn't help). I'm changing the oil every 1500 miles -- we tried letting it run over that and it would get black pretty quick. Not sure what other people have seen beating on theirs pretty hard over time.

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
I've got a pair of NT05R's i'm getting ready to install. 18" though and I have to buy wheels.

Friend of mine has 820 RWHP CTS V and he has the NT05's on the rear and running the Invo's on the front and loves them.

I'll probably run that setup in the summer and put Invo's on the rear after Sep/Oct

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
If you ever auto x or road race you'll want something sticky up front too. I've noticed with my LS that even in stock form the car tends to under steer if you go in to a turn too hot. Adding a good sticky tire to the rear & leaving a "street" tire on the front only amplifies the problem. To me, the perfect setup would be NT05R tires at all 4 corners.

guarnibl

Established Member
If you ever auto x or road race you'll want something sticky up front too. I've noticed with my LS that even in stock form the car tends to under steer if you go in to a turn too hot. Adding a good sticky tire to the rear & leaving a "street" tire on the front only amplifies the problem. To me, the perfect setup would be NT05R tires at all 4 corners.

I agree -- the problem is, I'm not sure I can fit 305's up front without aftermarket wheels ( I can probably find a 10" wide factory Boss wheel on the Internet somewhere ). I really prefer to retain the stock look and factory sound. Even with full KOOKS exhaust, putting the baffles in let me retain nearly identical exhaust dB and a similar tone (until the supercharger whine kicks in of course!).

If I'm forced to retain factory wheels, I guess a NT05 (non-R) would be best, yes -- since I can get them in 275/35R19?

Otherwise, I guess I will consider biting the bullet and grabbing some aftermarket wheels sometime in the future once these set of tires are toast.

As far as understeer -- yes, that's a huge problem right now. I'm a bit nervous to go square because of how much different it will handle -- and a car that tends to understeer is a bit easier to correct/save than one that wants to oversteer. With 600+ rwhp I'd probably throw it into a wall with a square setup ;)

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
I would never run a 305 up front. Not on a street driven car. The front end will track the road far too much, and you will feel every little dip, and road curvature.

275 max up front IMO. You will still get a little road pull with 275's also, but much more manageable. I like to run 245-265 up front on my street rigs.

12-Bstang

Established Member
uuummm can anyone confirm the fitment of the nittos??

I'd guess you could squeeze them on the rim, but how do they fit under the car?
Rub?
Stick out past the fender?
center wear or cupping?

Anyone, anyone??

poof100

Established Member
And good lord do they hook. 1st gear is actually entirely useable at this point (assuming I don't dump the clutch too hard), too, which is incredible. I am running (last dyno) around 600 rwhp on 91 pump gas @ 10 PSI. Full exhaust (KOOKS, including side exhaust, but with baffles in (was too loud)), safe tune, 47 lb injectors.

Running the stock summer Pirelli's up front (not the LS ones) and Nitto NT05R 305/35R19's in the rear. Not sure how much life I will get but my stock ones probably would have lasted about 10,000 miles (I'm nearing 6,500 at this point).

Initially I thought about going to different wheels, but I actually am really enjoying the stock look for now.

It's good to see the power usable though.

But my next question is -- what would you run up front?

I don't daily drive in rain, so I'm considering running 275/35R19 Nitto NT05 (not the R) up front. This would put me in a similar tread pattern front and rear, and a similar ratio from stock.

I'm getting some heat soak at high temperatures, so I am probably going to run E85 here soon once temps reach 100 consistently in Phoenix.

Is it possible to run 305's up front on the 10" wheels? I was thinking I could do that and run it completely square (and be able to rotate) but I wasn't sure about stock offsets being able to clear up front.

Only negative at this point is it needs an alignment pretty bad after being beat on for 6,500 miles (and geometry change from the FRPP lower control arm kit I'm sure didn't help). I'm changing the oil every 1500 miles -- we tried letting it run over that and it would get black pretty quick. Not sure what other people have seen beating on theirs pretty hard over time.

What Brand/Weight Oil are you running to require such short Oil changes? I'd be curious to see what you are running.

12-Bstang

Established Member
yea black oil just seems to me its the detergents are doing their job.

And about those tires..... oh um just forget it.............

masonh

Established Member
This would put me in a similar tread pattern

Not just similar but they look identical to me. I just got some NT05R 285-40-18 for the drag strip on my GT500. I already have a set of NT05 on my EVO and in comparing the NT05R to the regular NT05 they are the exact same tire but the "R" is softer by quite a bit.

Cool looking tires too, but if you are wanting to road race them then I would definitely get the plain NT05. The 05R as you already know is a drag radial and it will not corner or handle as good as the plain 05. If you are drag racing only and don't mind spending dough then I guess you'd be OK. Thing is that a drag radial has a softer sidewall and will not do well under hard cornering.

I also wouldn't run a 305 up front even if it does fit. You could also check out the NT01 for a real good handling tire.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with them, but if you want your car to still handle well at all, don't put NT05R on all four corners.I wouldn't even want them on the rear all the time. I ordered my two tires on Forgestar 18x10 wheels and i am going to put them on at the track and take them off before I go home. Keeping the stock Goodyears that most people hate on the rest of the time. i actually like them for cornering once you get them hot.

Users who are viewing this thread