Finally got some engine room pictures from the Fred White!

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Clutch.JPG

This is a spare clutch we have against the bulkhead. This little gem is pneumaticly engaged...

Generator.JPG

Over here we have the center ship service generator. We sport Cat D398Bs for all our power generation needs (except the E-gen, and I forget what model that is off the top of my head). We have 3 total. We only need one under way, but run all 3 when we are unloading or maneuvering. ~950HP @ 1200 RPM

PortMainEngineSideView.JPG

Ahh yes, the main engines. Don't worry, it's not really green, it's the lighting. This motor is the port main engine. We run a dual engine, single screw setup. Both engines feed into a reduction gear (picture next) and then off to the CP wheel (controlable pitch). We run GM EMD 645-E7-20s. What this means is that these engines are turbocharged, have 645 cu. inches of displacement per cylinder, and have 20 cylinders. 3600 HP @ 900 RPM, although we only run about 850 RPM full tilt.

RedGearAndIntake.JPG

Ahh yes, the reduction gear. A good wholesome ratio of 7.481:1... 7000 shaft HP. Basicly full tilt we are turning around 113 RPM. You do the math for the torque number...
And yes, those are the air intakes for the main engines... also, don't mind the little thing in the bottom right corner, that stern thruster only makes 600 hp...

SteeringGear.JPG

And this is what turns the ship. Hydraulics are a beautiful thing...

If you people have any questions, well, uhh, I might be able to answer them.

speederdoc

Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
If you people have any questions, well, uhh, I might be able to answer them.
So is that ship the Fred R. White Jr.? I googled, and that is all I found. Mammoth torque. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread