Finally got my whipple tuned and on the dyno today

sassafras

Established Member
Gen 2 2.3L Whipple with a return fuel system and 80# injectors, stock lower pulley.

93 Octane made 610hp/550tq with a 3.0 Pulley
E85 made 667hp/620tq with a 2.75 Pulley with 20 degrees of spark, it was making a little more each degree of spark that was added, but 20 degrees isn't near the ragged edge and I still love my motor, so that's what I stuck with.

I'm happy with it, and the butt dyno approves and that's all that matters. :beer:

nnrtx1.jpg

Black Sex

Established Member
Great numbers!
Do you E85 guys make your own or do you just run it straight out of the pump? I hear E85 fluctuates so much it would make me scared to run it. I would like to do it because
50hp+ gain would be nice from just running different gas. But eventhough im from the heart of corn country I like being able to go to almost any gas station and they have 91oct. How much does a return style fuel system typaically run to E85?

sassafras

Established Member
Great numbers!
Do you E85 guys make your own or do you just run it straight out of the pump? I hear E85 fluctuates so much it would make me scared to run it. I would like to do it because
50hp+ gain would be nice from just running different gas. But eventhough im from the heart of corn country I like being able to go to almost any gas station and they have 91oct. How much does a return style fuel system typaically run to E85?

I'm straight out of the pump, but I check the ethanol percentage with a graduated cylinder test. It was tuned on 84% ethanol, we don't get much fluctuation down in Alabama with the ethanol/gas mixes, but if they were to change it would be to a spring/fall blend that is a minimum of E74. If that occurs and I don't adjust the tune I would expect a .3-.4 richer A/F ratio (on a gasoline lambda wideband scale) which doesn't hurt anything besides a little decrease in power. It's where you get tuned for a winter blend(E70) and then drop in a summer blend(E78+) where you could run into issues going lean.

Lethal's return system plus the 80# injectors is about $1900. That includes everything you'll need from the pumps to the rails. You could probably build something yourself for cheaper however.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
nice numbers. Do you have to change the tune when you go from 93 octane to the E85? Do you use a handheld tuner to change between two tunes? Can you run E85 with a returnless set up?

Users who are viewing this thread