Finally got my new shifter!

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
Took forever but I finally got it! Don't be jealous...
IMGP0154.jpg

IMGP0153.jpg

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike

IMGP0155.jpg

IMGP0156.jpg

I'm probably the last guy to get an mgw shifter but better late than never. :beer:
The install was real smooth until i dropped the 8mm socket along the transmission when i was putting the internal shifter boot back on. :bash: :bash:

Surubasi

Established Member
you aren't the last...i still haven't got one...but i'm gonna when i get my Griggs SFC's in

Dave

MarlboroMan

Established Member
How do you like that shift knob? I hate mine. I cant seem to find a decent looking aftermarket knob thats comfortable. And mine gets hot as hell in this California heat. I got to put a rag over my shifter if it sits too long in the sun. Even with a visor in the windshield.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
CobraCleric said:
IMGP0153.jpg

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike
WHOA!!!!!!! What's wrong with this shift knob??????? My sons gave me one for Father's Day last year..............But, "I haven't had a chance to put it on yet"........

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
IronTerp said:
WHOA!!!!!!! What's wrong with this shift knob??????? My sons gave me one for Father's Day last year..............But, "I haven't had a chance to put it on yet"........

Dwight, yer boys are cool and everything, but DON"T ever find a chance to put that on!!! :poke:

While on this topic, I am tempted to upgrade from my Tri-Ax to the MGW. I hear great things about the MGW, but is it that much better than the Steeda to justify spending another $200??? :shrug:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I went with the race knob over the other one as well(whats it called again its a ball with rubber for grip or somethng?)

I got the race knob with chrome GT on top, it looks really good.

Inner shift boot i didnt put on, it didnt say it in the directions(i dont think) and i just totally forgot about it. But after talking to people, i learned it would only help with noise.

How did you get the socket out? Thats why i was real careful.

The only problem i had, was removing the boot/plastic thing. When i tried to "gently" pull it off i broke the plastic clip thats on the back and then i lost 1 of the 4 snap on clips.

PS whats the gasket? I shoulda bought one of those, the factory one was so fed up!!!!!!

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
MachME said:
I went with the race knob over the other one as well(whats it called again its a ball with rubber for grip or somethng?)

I got the race knob with chrome GT on top, it looks really good.

Inner shift boot i didnt put on, it didnt say it in the directions(i dont think) and i just totally forgot about it. But after talking to people, i learned it would only help with noise.

How did you get the socket out? Thats why i was real careful.

The only problem i had, was removing the boot/plastic thing. When i tried to "gently" pull it off i broke the plastic clip thats on the back and then i lost 1 of the 4 snap on clips.

PS whats the gasket? I shoulda bought one of those, the factory one was so fed up!!!!!!

Yea, i love the race knob... pricey at 60 bucks but oh well, sometimes you gotta do it.
My stupid inner boot had the hole cut from the triax, and i didn't know to buy another and couldn't wait so its almost pointless. Might get the inner boot soon.

The socket was a pain in the a$$. Took me 45 min to get it out, trying to squeeze my damn hand down there. I don't know when my fingers became sausages, but it was ridiculous.

The gasket is cobra bob's shifter gaskets. I bought it in advance and with it you don't have to use the included sealer. His gaskets get great reviews and i believe there's a sticky in the marketplace.

IronTerp said:

Yea mine was also a gift... and it just became a running gag joke and now resides on top of my tv half the time.
BTW, thanks for the call back. I went ahead and did the install Wednesday anyway. I read to take the shift stops all the way out, but the instructions made it sound like there were more than 2 and I thought i was missing something.

MarlboroMan said:
How do you like that shift knob? I hate mine. I cant seem to find a decent looking aftermarket knob thats comfortable. And mine gets hot as hell in this California heat. I got to put a rag over my shifter if it sits too long in the sun. Even with a visor in the windshield.

So far its been excellent. It's been in the high 80's, low 90's here this week, and I installed everything wednesday. No burns and its pretty comfortable. I personally love the look.
I still have to get used to it tho, i went from steeda short throw, to the long pro-comfort handle, to this short set up again. The first two was with the stock shift knob.

Users who are viewing this thread