Finally got my 2011 Auto to the track

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
It was a pretty hot South Florida day and I was really disappointed I could not run my DR's due to an issue with one of the wheels. So I dropped the pressure on my 19 inch highly worn Kumho Evos and gave it a try. Best run was a [email protected] coming off at idle. Tried foot braking at just 1500 rpm but would just blow the tires off. Best run was with a 2.0 60ft although I did get a 1.92 with excessive tire spin which was weird. Next run will be with 3.55's and DR's. Hope to be able to get it way down. Love this car!

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
I noticed that you car is lowered quite a bit. Do you have relocation brackets? How many psi in the those tires in the back? You need to disconnect the front sway bar and bump the air pressure in the front tires to 40-45 to decrease rolling resistance. 3.55s or 3.73s are not showing gains at all with the autos due the shift into 4th and going thru the traps way below peak. To make matters worse, the 1st gear combined with those higher numbered gear make for an insane torque pulling multiplication that is super short and that if you dont have really good tires you are not going to see the gains. I orderd 3.31s to have a somewhat useable 1st gear and still cross the line at peak with a 28" DR if needs to.

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
No relocation brackets and no issues I am aware of. I run Steeda ultralight springs which are not very tight up front. I ran 19lbs on the Kumhos which seemed perfect. Aware of the benefits of running higher pressure up front, just didn't bother with it. In reference to gear, I agree the first gear is incredibly short and my thoughts with a 3.55 is that I would probably be starting in second on the street a lot lol. However I thought with a good drag radial like the Mickey Thompsons I already have, 1st would be like a 4.10 and would get me a hell of a launch. I hate in street driving how long it takes to wind up this motor with the 3.15's. I will do a little more research before I buy them. Thanks for the feedback!

Impetuous

Established Member
No relocation brackets and no issues I am aware of. I run Steeda ultralight springs which are not very tight up front. I ran 19lbs on the Kumhos which seemed perfect. Aware of the benefits of running higher pressure up front, just didn't bother with it. In reference to gear, I agree the first gear is incredibly short and my thoughts with a 3.55 is that I would probably be starting in second on the street a lot lol. However I thought with a good drag radial like the Mickey Thompsons I already have, 1st would be like a 4.10 and would get me a hell of a launch. I hate in street driving how long it takes to wind up this motor with the 3.15's. I will do a little more research before I buy them. Thanks for the feedback!

As it is 1st gear with 3.15s equals to something more than 4.10s. Remember that most old Ford transmissions had a 2.?? First gear at the max. I know what you mean with the lobg gears after 1st. If you dont plan to drag race a lot 3.55 or 3.73 will be more fun in the street.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
As it is 1st gear with 3.15s equals to something more than 4.10s. Remember that most old Ford transmissions had a 2.?? First gear at the max. I know what you mean with the lobg gears after 1st. If you dont plan to drag race a lot 3.55 or 3.73 will be more fun in the street.

Did some reading up on other forums today and it seems while traction becomes a worse problem in 1st, most people who have switched to a 3.55 or 3.73 really, really enjoy it. Some have gone backwards from 3.73 to 3.55 which I can understand. The nice part is most have reported increased gas mileage around town after the swap :)

Impetuous

Established Member
Did some reading up on other forums today and it seems while traction becomes a worse problem in 1st, most people who have switched to a 3.55 or 3.73 really, really enjoy it. Some have gone backwards from 3.73 to 3.55 which I can understand. The nice part is most have reported increased gas mileage around town after the swap :)
I'm sure you'll like the 3.55s better. I had a set NIB that I just sold to a member over at Modular Fords. I have another used set of 3.73s as well if you are interested.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Congrats on getting out to the track. For the cars first time down the 1320, not bad at all.
I'll be putting the 3.55's in my auto too. Just have to find time, there sitting on a shelve in the shop.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Seat time, seat time, seat time. Even in an auto.

I know it doesn't seem like much to just mash the pedal on green (well third yellow), but there's still a lot going on.

You. 2.0 60' is respectable on stock tires. Without going a bit more sticky, I'm not certain you can really expect much more.

In regards to getting your best 60 with a bit of spin, this doesn't surprise me. Slip angles play a big role in traction. Most cars that pull great 60' numbers do spin a little. I'm not sure of the percentage, but I believe around 10% has been tossed around from time to time.

If you're on a street tire, try lining up outside of the groove. You may find your short time and big end numbers improve.

Users who are viewing this thread