Finally gettin my cobra! Need advice...

PrinceSlik

Established Member
I am finally goin to the dealer auction in PA friday to pick up my 01' Cobra. There is 4 of them going through, hopefully I can get one at a good price.

If I get it i'll post pics asap.

Any suggestions on what to do first? Here are some mods i'd like to do by the end of the summer.

Cat-back Exhaust
X-Pipe
Headers (worth it?)
4.10 Gears
Intake (what's the mas mod?)
Pulleys
Cams (good gains? what kind?)
Suspension (what should I get?)
Some good street tires (suggestions?)
Nitrous Kit - Wet, direct port?, 75-100shot

I think that's pretty much it for now, anything else that would be a good mod? Or any suggestions on brands or where to buy them would be helpful too....thx

-Bobby

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I personally think the best mod initially for quicker e.t's would be the gears. I had a 01 Cobra and they are dogs until about 4000 rpm's. The gears would get you up into the powerband quicker!

PrinceSlik

Established Member
alright, i've been reading around and think im gonna go with 4.10's....everyone seems to be happy with those. Is there any specific brand?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
You'll get more traffic in the "New Edge Cobra" section ('99/01s). I'll move it there and leave a link...

/Damn Dan, you beat me to it...:beer:

PrinceSlik

Established Member
anyways, alright so FRPP gears...

I should prolly do suspension at the same time.

What's a good spring? And will I need shocks, and what else?

99SVTcobraVERT

well you should give thought as to how you going to drive your cobra. i drive mine a lot of times on highway at speeds above 70+mph. if you will be doing the same i suggest going with a 3:73. not to mention your runs from roll will not be as fun in speeds above 60. 4:10 great for light to light, but what about exit to exit on the freeway. food for thought

PrinceSlik

Established Member
mostly i'd be doing the quarter mile, a lot more then a highway race, but highway racing occasionally.

What do you suggest for that?

I also see your spraying a 150shot. Is that too much stress on the engine? I was thinkin about doin a 75.....but what about 100?

99SVTcobraVERT

ive been told 150 is too much for my motor but ive been doing it since dec of 01 after i put a few thousand miles on it after i bought it new. and have had no problems on the motor other than blowing out a lower intake and cracking upper, but that was user error, not nitrous or motor error. i hooked up bottle warmer wrong and sprayed at god only know how much psi (it was pegged at 1500psi and bottle almost burned hand when i cut it off after i blew it) the blow off valve is rated at 3000psi before valve pops off so it could have been HIGH. i just ran her on dyno the other week and she has not lost any luster on motor. but i suggest two heat range colder plug (ngk vr6) gapped at 35 , and a timing adj to take a few degree's timing out. all i run is the plugs, so that is you call. i think if you drive it at all for daily driver or any during week and on highway you would be more happy with 3:73, if only weekend/track car, do the 4:10

PrinceSlik

Established Member
Is the 4.10s gonna be bad for 1/4 mile racing?......

I will mostly just drive it on the weekends, but maybe a day or two during the week to work. I understand what the gears do.

They just make it rev quicker by spinning quicker right? Like a bicycle. But I don't know how much diff 3.73 is from stock or from 4.10

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
a friend of mine has the 4.10s in his 98 cobra and he is hitting 25 or 30 in first, 60 in second, 85 or 90 in third, 120 in fourth and 150+ in fifth. interstate racing is alot worse because of hitting fifth after 120. I pull his ass on the interstate. I would go with the 4.10s any way. Im not doing gears for a while now.

as far as the rest of your list.
Cat-back Exhaust = spin tech great sound lots of power or get some magnapacks.
X-Pipe = I went with BBKs off road and I love it. but many people will tell you the bbk piece sucks monkey balls so that one is up to you.
Headers (worth it?) = some will tell you yes some tell you no. I think so. Just one warning DONT GO WITH MAC'S.
4.10 Gears = ford racing all the way (dont forget the chip or speed cal to correct your speedo)
Intake (what's the mas mod?) Get a TB, MAF and CAI great gains
Pulleys = Underdrives great idea
Cams (good gains? what kind?) = not worth the cash go with an extrude honed intake before you do that or go with the entire fr500 Pieces.
Suspension (what should I get?) steeda lowering springs and bilstines and dont forget the 03 rear pinion brace and urithane bushings for it.(order from any local ford dealer) or go coil overs if youve got the mega cash.
Some good street tires (suggestions?)
Nitrous Kit - Wet, direct port?, 75-100shot

PrinceSlik

Established Member
I guess I shouldn't be doing over 120mph anyways lol....but 4.10's seem to be what most people like.

I think i'll go with that and a suspension setup first thing. Then i'll go with the MAM and CAI, throttle body worth it? I looked at the BBK headers but then need an H-pipe and I think I want the sound of an X....where else can I shop for parts?..

So CAI, MAM, TB, Cat-back, Headers, x-pipe, and I want to add a nitrous application too, so prolly need to get the timing adjuster.

What is a good size TB and MAM to get?

Users who are viewing this thread