Finally found the 13+ front speaker fix

i want boost

Established Member
Maybe this should be in nterior/exterior, but with all the trouble I had searching for a way to do away with the front component speakers in the 13+ stangs I want to share with all. After much searching I found the answer on anothe form, if you are looking to ditch the components, and not have to attempt to hack up the factor mount, such I was told to not even attempt. You can order 2010 factory mustang speaker spacers, that's all you need 11 bucks a pop, plus like 10 shipping, but if ordered at local dealer, shipping may be free.

Next concern/question, im no audio buff just want a cleaner crisp sound. Stock are 2 ohm I ordered 4 ohm which I will put on the rear. What everyone's thoughts on a good 2 ohm 5x7 under 150

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
:) Hard to argue that. Just the first time I've heard of the components/main speakers being 2ohm. Both front and rear speakers on my 2012 were 4ohm (per the label) so surprised they made this switch. Do your rears say 2 ohm as well?

vortecd

Established Member
I have a base and the sound system isn't very good. After researching what to upgrade to I bought a set of JL audio C2-570X for the doors (great reviews) and a sub box with a 12" Kicker made to fit the car. On Crutchfields web site I viewed "best amps" by feedback and the 1st one is the Alpine MRP-F300 and it is on sale for $129 ($70 off) so I bought that along with the plug and play harness for the door speakers. I just need to buy a wiring kit. Just trying to get to at least the Mach 460 sound system I had in my '01 Bullitt

vortecd

Established Member
all my research said the stock speakers are 2 ohms. Maybe the base speakers are 2 ohms and the premiums are 4 ohms

i want boost

Established Member
Have not got to the rears yet, but they are 5x7 guessing they are 4 ohm

Base system has 4 ohm 5x7, shaker 500 up has the component set up with 2 ohms

You vortecd I think can just switch out the 5x7 doors in your car I think, they may even be 4 ohm, if you have components your going to want to get those speaker spacers to mount 5x7. Even going back with a component set up you can't just swap speakers in stock mount, you will have to take another route.... Unless you want to hack at it, duct tape, and super glue it. Yea that might do it

Last edited:

califsp

Established Member
On 13s they're all 2 ohm even the door subs. I've replaced them all. All say 2 ohm. Yup, all the threads on door speakers for 13s say you need the adapters.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
On my 2012 Shaker 1000 setup (500 + trunks sub) the 5x7's were 4ohm, and the 8" door woofers were dvc 1.2ohm. Factory used coaxials up front and whizzer cones in the rear. Replaced everything with JL stuff and have been very happy with the results. I would be tempted to just wire up an aftermarket amp and run everything 4 ohm rather than dealing with the lack of good 2ohm 5x7 speakers.

wheelspin

Established Member
On my 2012 Shaker 1000 setup (500 + trunks sub) the 5x7's were 4ohm, and the 8" door woofers were dvc 1.2ohm. Factory used coaxials up front and whizzer cones in the rear. Replaced everything with JL stuff and have been very happy with the results. I would be tempted to just wire up an aftermarket amp and run everything 4 ohm rather than dealing with the lack of good 2ohm 5x7 speakers.

Infinity makes quite good 2 ohm 5x7s. That's what I put in last year to replace the junk Shaker 5x7s in my 2014. I am quite happy with them compared to the stock crap.

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
Infinity makes quite good 2 ohm 5x7s. That's what I put in last year to replace the junk Shaker 5x7s in my 2014. I am quite happy with them compared to the stock crap.

Everything I read about them says the Infinity Kapa are great speakers if you're just replacing stockers. They work great on the small amount of power the head unit delivers and are priced fair.

Too many people make the mistake of throwing a set of high end drivers in and running them on 15-25 watts and wondering why they sound worse than the stock speakers.

Action Bronson

Established Member
Are the door subs replaceable/upgradeable?

I have the Shaker 500 in my premium 2014 and want to upgrade the door speakers, would be nice to swap out the door subs while I have the door panels off.

Also, what bracket are you guys talking about?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I replaced the door subs on my 2012. Was able to keep the stock grills but it's certainly not plug & play like the other door speakers. You will need to add a aftermarket amp as the factory part won't work well with any readily available 8" midbass/sub speakers. There is also a very limited # of speakers which will fit (somewhat) directly into the enclosure and allow you to retain the grills. This is due to both mounting depth limitations in the enclosure plus the design of the speaker basket/bezel. I used a JL ZR800 which works will minimal modifications and sounds fantastic in comparision to the factory setup. But many people are understandably hesitant to use this speaker due to the hefty price tag. If you don't care about keeping the factory door grills then you have other options (Kicker for one).

I posted some info/pics on my setup in a prior thread startring at reply 57:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...speakers/page3

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Have not got to the rears yet, but they are 5x7 guessing they are 4 ohm

Base system has 4 ohm 5x7, shaker 500 up has the component set up with 2 ohms

You vortecd I think can just switch out the 5x7 doors in your car I think, they may even be 4 ohm, if you have components your going to want to get those speaker spacers to mount 5x7. Even going back with a component set up you can't just swap speakers in stock mount, you will have to take another route.... Unless you want to hack at it, duct tape, and super glue it. Yea that might do it

For the base they are a bolt in. Now if you have a premium you need to get the speaker adapters for a 10-12 mustang

Badlilstang

Established Member
I cutup the factory adapters (components) and it was a pain but it can be done if you want to save some $. It all comes down to what tools you have available. Now I run Illusion Audio C8 set.. tweeter in the stock 5x7 location and midrange in the 8" location. This took some work but having an 8" 2way set that sounds as amazing as these has been worth it.. $1,250 retail for the speakers though!

Users who are viewing this thread