Finally bought a Cobra!

JaeJae

Established Member
Ive been through other mustangs from 91 gt, 95 gt, and an 07 gt. Then I went to the Challenger for the past 4 years going through 2 R/T's. Didn't really vibe with them to well. But the other day cruising the internet I came across this 97 Cobra with 10,336 original miles! I couldn't pass it up and had to have it. Always wanted one but for some reason kept buying newer cars. The car should be here by Saturday. I bought it from a dealer in Houston. Hopefully it comes still in great condition like he explained over the phone and by what I can see in the pics.

HlFVWfg.jpg

ll7Aups.jpg

YdcvPI6.jpg

XOcM6Kv.jpg

25GODxN.jpg

sz0iyDi.jpg

Is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for when I first receive it? CarFax reported this thing clear and was always taken to dealerships for maintenance.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Hi! Welcome and congrats! Looks like a very nice ride. It does look like there is a ton of wear on the driver seat bottom bolster, or is that just the light? Looks like the car has been lowered, one less thing you have to do.

Go through the stickies at the top of this sub-forum. Lots of good info there and will help to answer the "gotchas" without oing over them here.

Welcome!
Chris

95svt_dn

Established Member
congrats and welcome to the club! That is definitely a unique combo and it shines well. I looked at the pictures on the dealer website which had more. the back seats seem really really worn, it has to be a lighting issue. other than that it looks like they were into the car a little bit, lowered, wires, intake, shift light, shifter, etc. Hopefully they gave you a run down on that stuff and things that are less obvious.

JaeJae

Established Member
congrats and welcome to the club! That is definitely a unique combo and it shines well. I looked at the pictures on the dealer website which had more. the back seats seem really really worn, it has to be a lighting issue. other than that it looks like they were into the car a little bit, lowered, wires, intake, shift light, shifter, etc. Hopefully they gave you a run down on that stuff and things that are less obvious.

By what the dealer told me the only things he knew for sure was an aftermarket exhaust, suspension was redone, msd ignition and CAI. Other than that he didn't know much more. And the seats do look worn as well but I'm hoping it's just a lighting issue cause he stated they were in good shape still. I may take it to my local mustang guy and have him look into it and see if he can clarify what all has been done to it.

Still not so sure about the rims though. I really want some polished fr500's but gotta wait till the wife will let me spend more money.

Last edited:

AMWill

Congrats Jae!

Welcome back to the dark side :D.

She looks great! What are your plans for her when the keys are in your hands?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Will

JaeJae

Established Member
First thing I want to do is change wheels. Then add as many bolt ons as I can till I run out of them then supercharge it.

quarkdude

Established Member
Congrats on the Cobra purchase. Have you received the car yet? When is it scheduled to get to you? We all have to see some pics of it once you get it.
- quarkdude

Cowtown

Established Member
Looks like a great ride, the wheels aren't my thing but have to respect that it isn't too blingy and they followed through on an unique motif. I will say what cbrown said, it looks like an awful lot of wear on that one bolster for 10,000 miles, but maybe it's open all the way and the angles are playing tricks. Given how the seat bottoms are still pretty good it may just be that. I'd be a bit suspect of the mileage on it but in general it looks clean, hopefully mechanically good.

If you get the FR500's I'd love to seem them on there, considering the same ones.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Looks like a nice ride but I'd be cautious over those seats which appear to have a lot more wear than my 85k mile GT seats did.

Let me know how you feel about going from the 07 GT to the Cobra.

JaeJae

Established Member
Thanks guys.

It should be here by the weekend. The dealership that I am going through to get it was having trouble getting everything straight for the shipping but after finally yelling at them they promised it'll be here by the weekend. Also I checked with the car fax and it came back clean and that's the actual mileage. But I also already ordered the chrome fr500's 18 staggered from American Muscle so I'm really stoked to see all this come together! I will post pics as soon as I get it.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
New rims will definitely help and hopefully the offset will be better in the back. You might end up still wanting to run a spacer in the rear. Probably going to want to lose the red accents. I'm going to guess the dealer sourced that interior and it's not original to the car. You should run autocheck as well on the car. Many examples of one service finding something and the other not. Good luck with it and post up some additional pics once you start making changes.

Rick98Z

Established Member
I think the FR's will look great on there! I just added the staggered 17" anthracite FR500's to my mystic, congrats on the new purchase. I would imagine that's not the original front seats maybe, original owner could have upgrades and sold original.

JaeJae

Established Member
I ran an auto check as well and everything lined up with the carfax. Im thinking its what Rick said and the original owner replaced/upgraded the seats. Or he just sat in the car and pretended to drive it. :lol1: Either way its not to that big of a deal to me. I will post up pics as soon as it gets here. :rolling:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Congrats, but imo those seats look like they have more than 10K miles of wheel time in them. My 98 had 64K miles on it and the seats still looked relatively new.

JaeJae

Established Member
So do you guys think someone messed with the odometer? Cause as far as I can tell in the pics the seats seem to be the only thing worn more than the rest of the car.

Btw I gave 11k for the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread