Finally an answer to Ford's poor shifter location (MUST SEE!!)

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Maybe some of you have already seen this, but I have heard of nobody that has it or mentioned it as a solution to the problem we all have with reaching for our shifter's. I just found the re-desinged shifter handle that MGW has come out with. I must say after watching the video's on it, It looks AMAZING! The darn thing twists up and down and is fully adjustable to suit anyone's driving. At least that's what I got from the video's.

Click the link at below to check this bad boy out. I'm going to order one to run on my cobra with the Pro-50 shifter I already have. Go watch the 2 video's they have on it as well. One is a demonstration and you will be amazed where the shifter is positioned in 2nd gear. My jaw dropped when I saw that.:eek: I'll let you know how mine works out when I get it!!!!

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shift_handle.html

Razor.:beer:

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
That is pretty amazing and just think, from the looks of the video you could switch cd's while in 3rd gear.

Taz

Established Member
There are several threads over in the Terminator forum on the MGW shifter handle and a few on StangNet and Corral. The guys with Pro 50 shifters who are using them posted nearly 100% positive feedback.

Comments related to the T56 in the '03 may not be all that applicable, since the gates on the 6-speed are a little different, but here are a couple links to threads posted by guys with 5-speeds.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228023&highlight=handle

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=375154&highlight=handle

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=379386&highlight=handle

I thought about trying one out, but my Tri-Ax handle positions the knob pretty much exactly where I want it, so I never got around to ordering the MGW.

T-

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by Taz
There are several threads over in the Terminator forum on the MGW shifter handle and a few on StangNet and Corral. The guys with Pro 50 shifters who are using them posted nearly 100% positive feedback.

Comments related to the T56 in the '03 may not be all that applicable, since the gates on the 6-speed are a little different, but here are a couple links to threads posted by guys with 5-speeds.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228023&highlight=handle

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=375154&highlight=handle

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=379386&highlight=handle

I thought about trying one out, but my Tri-Ax handle positions the knob pretty much exactly where I want it, so I never got around to ordering the MGW.

T-

Thanks for taking the time to post those links.:thumbsup: I ordered mine yesterday and I can't wait to install it on my cobra. I really think this is the handle I've been looking for all along. I also bought a bullit shift knob, billet antenna, billet door lock pins, and a billet cigarette lighter with "Eject" engraved on it from UPR. My car is currently getting a new computer put in it so it will be fun to get it home and add all the new goodies! Thanks again for the links.

Razor.

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
akatherazor4

i saw that same shifter, i liked what it dose and was considering it for my future car, possibly for a mach 1 but since i dont know if the mach 1's have any shifter problems its still cool tell me hwo u like it when u get it.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by Tony_Montana87
akatherazor4

i saw that same shifter, i liked what it dose and was considering it for my future car, possibly for a mach 1 but since i dont know if the mach 1's have any shifter problems its still cool tell me hwo u like it when u get it.

I will certianly post my opinion on the shifter here in this thread after I get it and install it. The Mach 1 will have the same problem as the cobra's and GT's due to the fact that the shifter is in the same location. I would also reccomend getting a tri-ax or pro-5.0 shifter as well. Don't use the MGW handle on the stock unit. You need a quality shifter with positive stops to prevent damage to the tranny when your banging gears. I consider the MGW handle just an add on piece for comfort.

Also I have the Pro-5.0 in my cobra and the Tri-Ax in my Saleen. I prefer the Pro-5.0 and my wife agree's with that as well. Just my opinion on the two shifters.

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
I've had mine for about a year now and I love it. It did take me about a week to get it adjusted to precisely how I like it, the combinations are limitless.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I've got no problem with the factory shifter position.:shrug: In fact, I really like the way my B&M sits with the washers set so that is leans slightly to the rear.

:beer:

Vinnie T

Established Member
Originally posted by falconetti
looks awsome, but i cant part w/ the triax handle.

Just curious why you can't part with the Tri-ax handle? The difference between the 2 is very dramatic. I could never quite get used to the angle of the Tri-ax, and it feels rather flimsy next to the MGW handle.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Update.

Got my shifter handle today and I must say it looks to be of high quality. Unfortunatley my car is still in the shop trying to get the gremlins out of it. Once it's back home I will install it and give you my feedback.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Shifter is in!

Well I mounted the MGW handle on my Pro-50 shifter tonight and boy what a difference! I took her for a little test drive and it works great. It's 100 times better then the the Pro-50 handle. I no longer have to stretch to grab my shiter when changing gears. If your a tall person who sits pretty far back in the seat then this is the shifter handle you need. It corrects what Ford screwed up.

I also took my Pro-50 handle and put it on the Tri-Ax shifter in my Saleen as well. My wife drives that car mostly and she is much shorter and sits way closer to the dash then I do. It works perfect for her.

Take Care,
Razor. :beer:

94CobraPace

Established Member
You'll love the Pro 5.0 with the MGW shifter handle...
After you get it adjusted where you want it, make sure you put osme lock tite on the set screws that hold the handle. Mine have come loose a couple of time over the last year.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by F1Cobra
Razor i think you have me sold on the handle, thats just about what i needed to order it. I have a pro 5.0,

I hope your as happy with it as I am.:beer:

Razor.

kaos

Established Member
I just got mine today too. I have a tri-ax and it looks like the tri-ax handle sits closer to me, but driving it is different. It feels like the mgw is actually easier, but it's further away. I don't get it.

Shifting the car seems a lot easier too. Maybe because I had the tri-ax in the lowest setting.

Also, the one thing I don't like is that I have screw in the mgw handle on the right side of the thing as opposed to the tri-ax where I could put it on either side. Not a big deal though.

I used the flange instead of the two little washers and I had no idea how much gear whine I had before. It seems so quiet in my car now and I can hear my exhaust purr at the lower rpms. I thought my exhuast was too quiet, but it's not. I just couldn't hear it before. That's a big plus. I was about to put magnapacks on my car.

This review is based on a total of about 10 minutes driving. I'll have a better feel for after tomorrow. Overall I'm 95% pleased with it. I just need a little more seat time with it.

kaos

Established Member
Sorry guys ignore my post. I just realized that I put the damn thing in wrong. At least I'm 95% sure that I did. I'll give another review tomorrow. :)

Users who are viewing this thread