Finally a good F5 tornado video!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I have a serious question.

All things considered, that's pretty destructive. I always felt like hurricane SE coastal life was expensive. But I can't imagine in Tornado alley, insurance is cheap? Especially the adjacent destruction nearby. Pretty crazy

Coiled03

Established Member
I have a serious question.

All things considered, that's pretty destructive. I always felt like hurricane SE coastal life was expensive. But I can't imagine in Tornado alley, insurance is cheap? Especially the adjacent destruction nearby. Pretty crazy

Insurance isn't cheap anywhere, cuz insurance companies gotta make them dollars.

But you're correct, it's pretty bad here in The Alley.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Tornados are rare, and the vast majority are not considered violent (EF4-5) a normal wood frame home with hurricane hangers on the roof trusses should withstand up to a low EF3 without much if any structural damage. I have only had 1 tornado hit my house in 36 years, and it was an F1 in '91

Honestly it's the hail that gets you here.

Just in the past month my house got hit with tennis ball (2.5") sized hail.
Roof= toast
gutters= toast
siding on the north side =toast
light fixtures= toast...
$1500 dedutable, just waiting for august to file the claim so it applies to next year.

To top it off a week or so later my '08 Escape got nailed with golfball (1.75") at work (was perfect aside 2 little scratches and a few rock chips... no dings)
I haven't had it looked at yet but guy parked next to me in a G8 had nearly $7k in damage... many people have had cars totaled from it... I paid $8k for the truck in Nov of '17 when it had over 30k less miles... afraid they will just total it. ($500 dedutable)
(pieces of the roof on the ground)
This is after the storm at the office that got my Escape
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
Tornados are rare, and the vast majority are not considered violent (EF4-5) a normal wood frame home with hurricane hangers on the roof trusses should withstand up to a low EF3 without much if any structural damage. I have only had 1 tornado hit my house in 36 years, and it was an F1 in '91

Honestly it's the hail that gets you here.

Just in the past month my house got hit with tennis ball (2.5") sized hail.
Roof= toast
gutters= toast
siding on the north side =toast
light fixtures= toast...
$1500 dedutable, just waiting for august to file the claim so it applies to next year.

To top it off a week or so later my '08 Escape got nailed with golfball (1.75") at work (was perfect aside 2 little scratches and a few rock chips... no dings)
I haven't had it looked at yet but guy parked next to me in a G8 had nearly $7k in damage... many people have had cars totaled from it... I paid $8k for the truck in Nov of '17 when it had over 30k less miles... afraid they will just total it. ($500 dedutable)
(pieces of the roof on the ground)
This is after the storm at the office that got my Escape
View attachment 1585222
Here in Michigan we are not technically in "Tornado Alley" but tornadoes have hit Michigan. In 1953 a monster F5 hit Flint killing 116 people. We did a project in Flint and I drove the path of the tornado. I then went to a nearby bank asking them about it and two customers gave me some info. A lady told me her mother was pregnant with her at the time when the Flint F5 hit. They were watching a movie at the drive-in theater which is no longer there. Just like in the movie Twister. People scrambled in their cars to get away and had many accidents as they crashed into each other. Her mom lay on her stomach and was pelted with glass on her back but survived to deliver the lady I was speaking to. I must say it was weird driving that path knowing that in 1953 all that mayhem took place.

1953 Flint–Beecher tornado - Wikipedia

Where I live outside Detroit we get hit by straight lines winds all the time. Last year a nasty storm came through and I stood on the deck when it hit. There is a huge cotton tree behind us and branches and leaves just started flying off it and hitting the power lines taking out the power. I ran inside and then all hell broke loose and I saw a whirling wind on the deck. It blew our or wood fence which was anchored to the brick house, the dog's drinking bowl was gone and our attic fan cover was blown off and landed in the street in the front of the house. On our street about 10 trees were downed. A younger tree's main trunk in front of our house just snapped off at the middle which surprised me because it did not have heavy branches so the wind must have been powerful. Our insurance ended up paying for an entire new roof on the house and I had to get a new attic fan.

In 2011 we also got hit by a storm that took out part of a huge silver maple in our back yard. It fell on our neighbor's roof and they needed to have the entire roof replaced. It also took out our power line which fell on my wife's car at the time messing up her electronics. The trunk of the tree itself was a few inches above the roof of her car, supported by the house it landed on. My Cobra was safe in the garage and did not get any damage. I plan on getting the power line installed underground in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread