Final Turbo dyno numbers....

bouncer18

Established Member
attachment.php
the final number was 453 / 467 at 12 degree's timing and 8 psi...

we still have 8 degree's of timing to play with... can we say EASY 500 horsepower... but since gas out here is only 92 octane and its a street car we decided to go safe rather then sorry (if you call 450 hp sorry)

more pics to come later... when i get some sleep

mods atm...

hellion turbo (62mm) kit - mac flowpath mufflers that dump held on by coat hangers too!!, solid 8.8 with stock gears..

*drooling* Gawd that turbo looks sooooooooooooo freaking sick just sitting in there. I want one soooooo bad. I see one in the near future sitting in my engine bay, just a 76mm though:-D

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Sweet! I want to go turbo some day so I have some questions:

1). Did you go forged build up and if so who built the motor?

2). Did you do the turbo install yourself and if so how difficult was this build to do yourself?

Can't wait to see more pics!!!

bouncer18

Established Member
1) Not yet... thats my fathers day present.. if i can find a block ill build one myself otherwise ill go with a DDS or something reasonably priced

2) yes.. it wasnt to bad but i also have a lift and all the tools i possibly needed.

ill get more pics up today.... and yes, i should have gone 76 MM but the power would be higher in the RPM rangle and the block cant handle more then 450.. so i decided to go smaller and make boost quicker.. (like at 4500 rpm.. lol)

djtech

Established Member
Sweet, you are feeding my dream of a turbo ;)

Who did the install? If you paid, how much was the install charge? I looked at the kit and it comes with a kmember and new suspension components, sounds like an involved job.

I noticed in the warranty manual that racing voids your warranty, what a load of crapola

Hepcat007

Established Member
Nice numbers, that install looks very nice. You can get plenty of HP out of that turbo after you go forged. Just add a boost controller and crank up the boost or M/W injection.

Blown02

Established Member
onicrom said:
Nice numbers bouncer. looks awesome. :thumbsup:

blown03 that gt is a ****ing monster dude. badass :rockon:
Thanks, the fuel system was maxed out so its in desperate need of some gt40 pumps, lines, and rails to make some more power. It has a forged 01 cobra motor in it.

Blown02

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Who told you that? :poke:
Ya the 03-04 cobra shortblock can def. take more than 450rwhp, but I forgot what is their weak link? is it a wristpin or something like that? I know many people are pushing these stock 03-04 cobra motors up to even 850rwhp, but there are also alot of engines breaking.. what is the general number that these shortblocks can take?

edit-NVM I didnt see he had a 01 cobra..not the 03-04.. the block will hold it def. but, Im sure he was talking about the rods.

Last edited:

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
Blown02 said:
Ya the 03-04 cobra shortblock can def. take more than 450rwhp, but I forgot what is their weak link? is it a wristpin or something like that? I know many people are pushing these stock 03-04 cobra motors up to even 850rwhp, but there are also alot of engines breaking.. what is the general number that these shortblocks can take?

With a piston swap (to say CP pistons) and ARP rodbolts I don't see any reason they wouldn't take 800-900hp.

Blown02

Established Member
viperbluelx said:
With a piston swap (to say CP pistons) and ARP rodbolts I don't see any reason they wouldn't take 800-900hp.
Well it looks as if he has a stock 01 cobra motor.

Ya I know they can easily take that with cp pistons, but the totally stock 03-04 shortblock, how much hp can they take, and whats the weak link that makes them not handle as much?

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
From what I've heard the rod bolts aren't the strongest and the pistons have a coating that eventually wears off, but that could be hearsay.

bouncer18

Established Member
I mean rotating assembly.. around here i call it block cause everyone knows what i mean..sorry bad habit

i plan on using a aluminum block when i build it up tooo.. the block itself can handle 700 - 850 i am told

djtech: i installed it myself.. took 9 hours approx... kit comes with EVERYTHING ecept catback

Blown02

Established Member
Im pretty sure the block can handle more than that..
Im not totally sure if mine is a teksid, dont think so, but my forged 01 aluminum shortblock is making almost 900 flywheel hp/tq. however when i usually drive it im only around 650hp.

bouncer18

Established Member
hmm thats good to know...

thats the route i am taking this... once the block is put in the car i am gonna puit the 76mm on it and attempt to make around 800... but detune it to about what its at now...

what rods / pistons are you using, and might you have any suggestion..

i am undecided still and the time is near

Users who are viewing this thread