final question before doing a battery relocation.

AtlanticCobra98

Ummm Yeah!!!!
Established Member
Im using 4 gauge power wire. Can i just run it from the battery to the starter solenoid? I dont plan on running at the track any time so that wont be an issue.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
easiest way of doing it is to just connect it to your original wires where they went on the battery post up front...there are better ways but i think that is the easiest

AtlanticCobra98

Ummm Yeah!!!!
Established Member
ok i looked at the wire and its actually 5 gauge wire. Is that too small to run?i got it for free and the guy said it was 4 but obviously its not

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i ran 0 guage for my stereo and it was a pain but 5 guage shouldn't be bad. 4 and 5 guage isn't a big difference though.

amorrow

Established Member
Not sure why late-models would differ, but I was told 2-gauge at the minimum for my '65. I know of some running 2-gauge and others running 1-gauge on their early Mustangs, and none running 4 or 5 to a trunk-mounted battery. I'm not saying it won't work, as I can't really offer an educated opinion on this, but rather just chiming in with what I've been told.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I honestly would not go with 5 gauge to power your entire car from the trunk..

I can almost guarantee you will have hot cranking problems..

I ran a 4 gauge from each of my batteries but they are also inside the back seat instead of all the way in the trunk...

AND WHO THE **** SELLS 5 AWG ANYWAY???????

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
go with 2 gauge dude its cheap to buy...if the wire diameter is too small it can get hot...thats not a chance i would wanna take...its probably safe but still...i did some electrical assembly at other jobs and it doesn't take much to melt the insulation of wire and catch carpet on fire

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread