Filter vs. No filter with turbo

SVTCobra60

Established Member
I was looking through the turbo engine bay picture thread, seems like there are some guys using filters, and some are not. I can't imagine it is a good idea to run a turbo car on the street without having a filter over/in front of the compressor wheel.

It appears that most of the cars I see don't use a filter, but I've heard of this causing problems, how are you guys dealing with it? To those who do use a filter, there often isn't much room to slap a filter off of the end of your turbo, especially with twins.

Do you go with a smaller filter and protect your turbo, or let the turbo breathe and risk not using anything?

ctgreddy

Established Member
This is my buddies setup, 1990jmcturbo on here. He has no filter but runs a turbo gaurd screen. Fine enough to keep out any sizeable stuff that may actually damage the turbo. If you're talking about big street cars that see tons of miles(5k+ a summer) then I may say run a filter. Anything else I'd just run a screen. A little bit of dust/dirt partiles aren't going to do anything.

13094271_10208404584025906_1677749215223598760_n_zps0qa36zuo.jpg

SVTCobra60

Established Member
This is my buddies setup, 1990jmcturbo on here. He has no filter but runs a turbo gaurd screen. Fine enough to keep out any sizeable stuff that may actually damage the turbo. If you're talking about big street cars that see tons of miles(5k+ a summer) then I may say run a filter. Anything else I'd just run a screen. A little bit of dust/dirt partiles aren't going to do anything.

13094271_10208404584025906_1677749215223598760_n_zps0qa36zuo.jpg

Looks great, I read that the mesh screen type covers/filters are more of a restriction than a filter. I understand it keeps out large stuff, which is great, but it seems that the grate design restricts the airflow a lot, did he have an before/after testing done?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Looks great, I read that the mesh screen type covers/filters are more of a restriction than a filter. I understand it keeps out large stuff, which is great, but it seems that the grate design restricts the airflow a lot, did he have an before/after testing done?

All we've done with his car is street tuning, and then some track time but he was battling trans issues and eventually lost 3rd. Seems with how much open area there is there wouldn't be a restriction but might be something to try next time at the track, a couple passes with and without it to see if there's any difference.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Run a filter...... Think about it. That screen will catch only large particles. A filter is going to keep out the fine dust, sand and smaller particles that you will pick up with normal street driving. Just look around your engine bay for all the little misc pebbles and dirt that is laying around it now. All of that can get pulled into your motor without a filter. You do not want that going through your engine.....

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Run a filter...... Think about it. That screen will catch only large particles. A filter is going to keep out the fine dust, sand and smaller particles that you will pick up with normal street driving. Just look around your engine bay for all the little misc pebbles and dirt that is laying around it now. All of that can get pulled into your motor without a filter. You do not want that going through your engine.....

I absolutely agree, I can't imagine those screens doing much of anything at all. What would you do if the turbo doesn't have enough room to attach a filter to the outside of the compressor side? Could you run a shorter/wider filter effectively? So instead of 4 (width) by 6/7...You get something that is a 6/7 by 3-4, etc

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You can do that, or make a small pipe off the turbo to position the filter where you want it. If you put a small filter it may be a restriciton, but the 20rwhp you may lose on the street, who cares? if you go to the track, just pop it off.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
You can do that, or make a small pipe off the turbo to position the filter where you want it. If you put a small filter it may be a restriciton, but the 20rwhp you may lose on the street, who cares? if you go to the track, just pop it off.

Good point, so having a pipe off the turbo wouldn't be an issue or hinder the performance? How big of a filter should I aim for to ensure it gets adequate air?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Good point, so having a pipe off the turbo wouldn't be an issue or hinder the performance? How big of a filter should I aim for to ensure it gets adequate air?

No, it will not hinder performance. Also utilizing a pipe, say into the fender will also pull cooler air. Instead on how most people have it setup with the filter in front of the radiator, it is pulling in hot air. Put the largest you can fit in there. I run a 8-9" filter on mine.

You still looking for a turbo Cobra?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
There are many different sizes of universal filters available, just measure the area of space outside the compressor and choose the biggest one that will fit. The ones I ended up with are relatively short but very wide so surface area should be plentiful.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
No, it will not hinder performance. Also utilizing a pipe, say into the fender will also pull cooler air. Instead on how most people have it setup with the filter in front of the radiator, it is pulling in hot air. Put the largest you can fit in there. I run a 8-9" filter on mine.

You still looking for a turbo Cobra?

Awesome sounds good, yeah very true.

And yes I'm still looking for one.

There are many different sizes of universal filters available, just measure the area of space outside the compressor and choose the biggest one that will fit. The ones I ended up with are relatively short but very wide so surface area should be plentiful.

Makes sense, basically just look to get the biggest one you can use in your situation.

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
yeah that is my setup with the turbo guard. i havent had any issues yet, i only drive it on the street for fun on a friday or sat night. only will take it out for some fun with friends/ meet up and it will see 2k miles a year max. i am pretty anal tho, if the forecast shows any chance of rain i do not take it out, and my engine bay is really clean, not a lot of dust touches the engine bay let alone get in the turbo, it helps alot my down pipe is out the bumper, not pointed at the ground so it does not stir up much dust when idleing. but again, its impossible to say it doesnt see ANY dust. i know many that dont run a filter or guard and havent had any issues. but there like me, they dont daily drive the car..

SVTCobra60

Established Member
yeah that is my setup with the turbo guard. i havent had any issues yet, i only drive it on the street for fun on a friday or sat night. only will take it out for some fun with friends/ meet up and it will see 2k miles a year max. i am pretty anal tho, if the forecast shows any chance of rain i do not take it out, and my engine bay is really clean, not a lot of dust touches the engine bay let alone get in the turbo, it helps alot my down pipe is out the bumper, not pointed at the ground so it does not stir up much dust when idleing. but again, its impossible to say it doesnt see ANY dust. i know many that dont run a filter or guard and havent had any issues. but there like me, they dont daily drive the car..

Thanks for the information. I'm sure being extra clean with the car helps. What was your reasoning for not going with a filter? Fitment issues I assume

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
yes correct, the way my coolant cross over is. the filter wont fit between there. i could re-do it some to fit a filter, but for what i do with the car and where i drive it, im not gonna run a filter. the streen is real fine mesh, so the ONLY thing it can suck in is dust particles.and if ur careful slightly you would be okay.,

SVTCobra60

Established Member
yes correct, the way my coolant cross over is. the filter wont fit between there. i could re-do it some to fit a filter, but for what i do with the car and where i drive it, im not gonna run a filter. the streen is real fine mesh, so the ONLY thing it can suck in is dust particles.and if ur careful slightly you would be okay.,

Yeah that makes sense. Would be a lot of work for something that isn't a true major problem right now. Also, if your able to clean them up every once in a while you'll probably be good

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
If you're going to run a filter, make sure and run one that will handle the cfm that it will be pulling. When I was going through my build, all the filters I kept seeing were too small. I found a simple solution to run a 30 degree elbow off the turbo and run a large filter that way.

8LqRE1b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread