"Film" on the car at night. HELP

Rct851

Established Member
Car color= sterling grey metallic

typical wash= car soap and wash mit, dry with micro fiber, wipe down with meguires quik detailed using a micro fiber.

problem= during the day it looks great. At night, a "film" becomes visible. You can see the wipe marks of the microfiber. The roof gets real hazy looking. It's like the temperature change cause moisture or something that looks like morning dew or something

My thinking is it's time to do a wash with dawn. I've wiped the car down with this detailing a ton of times as it is garage kept and never really gets dirty.

What say you svtp?

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
sterling grey is one of those colors that you will see every flaw at night under florescent light no matter what you do. is this film like a dew that is on the car or something else. Please post a photo so we can see what it looks like.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
It's probably just moisture in the air, not much you can do about it. Happens around here.

Rct851

Established Member
It doesn't look at all like flaws in the paint. What I'm seeing sits on the car, that's why I'm guessing it's product related. I will get the best pictures I can tonight night. I'm not sure if my camera will pick it up

And I also told myself for months that it's just the humidity or something, but it only be my car out if hundreds in a parking lot.

POPPAJ

Established Member
Use a separate MF towel for your final wipe down, not the one you use to spread around your detailing spray. Using too much maybe? Do you wash your towels correctly with extra rinses and add white vinegar to the final rinse?

Rct851

Established Member
^^^no after I wipe on the detailing spray I'm done. I never went back over with a unused microfiber because I thought rubbing it on the car dry, with nothing as a lubricant could be bad for it. The car has been wiped with this stuff a ton of times and never clay bared or waxed.

And no I've always done a normal wash. I'll research what your talking about and probably buy some better quality towels to begin with.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Are you using carnauba waxes? I have found that carnauba waxes look strange when the paint gets really hot.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
FYI - Dawn/dish soap leaves a film. That's why it's not recommended. If clay didn't work you might want to step up to a nanoskin pad on a DA. Then use say M205 and an MF polishing pad to see if that might do the trick. If not go a little more aggressive and use M105 or M101 and a cutting pad with about 10 lbs of pressure on 5 or 6.

Users who are viewing this thread