Filling up with gas and only one hose. Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
I was talking to a tuner the other day and he mentioned that it isn't a good idea to use gas stations where there is only one hose (for all three grades) being used due to there being a run off from the previous persons gas entering our gas tanks, that as you all well know, take Premium only.

Any validity to this? I went and checked it out for myself and there is some release from the previous persons gas. Kind of had me wondering since I always go with 76 and they for the most part have one hose only

Whats your guys opinions on this? Will that amount left in the hose effect our engines? :??:

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
I would like to know that as well. I have heard that if you can, fuel up at night, as we all know, colder liquid is denser liquid, and dont fill up when there is a tanker there filling up the station, it will churn up the BS in the bottom of the res. tanks under the station, and possibly get in the lines. Also, dont put the pump on full blast when pumping, it will cause the gas to bubble up from the rapid flowing of liquid. All these are possibly ways to get the most BANG for you buck. I have done no "tests" to confirm this, but it seems like i get more out of my fill ups now, if only marginally.

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
I would like to know that as well. I have heard that if you can, fuel up at night, as we all know, colder liquid is denser liquid, and dont fill up when there is a tanker there filling up the station, it will churn up the BS in the bottom of the res. tanks under the station, and possibly get in the lines. Also, dont put the pump on full blast when pumping, it will cause the gas to bubble up from the rapid flowing of liquid. All these are possibly ways to get the most BANG for you buck. I have done no "tests" to confirm this, but it seems like i get more out of my fill ups now, if only marginally.

Interesting. I did hear about not filling up when there is a tanker there. Since I usually use one hose pumps I now just point it down and away and squeeze the excess gas out. Don't want Unleaded mixed in with premium.

Thanks for the 411

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
Interesting. I did hear about not filling up when there is a tanker there. Since I usually use one hose pumps I now just point it down and away and squeeze the excess gas out. Don't want Unleaded mixed in with premium.

Thanks for the 411

dont mean to get off topic...but i see a picture of, im assuming your car in your avatar...what kind of wheels are those?? looks damnnn good from this view...post pics!

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
dont mean to get off topic...but i see a picture of, im assuming your car in your avatar...what kind of wheels are those?? looks damnnn good from this view...post pics!

Thanks! Those are 17x10.5 Chrome stockers wrapped in 315/35/17 Goodyear GS-D3's. Here go a couple of pics........

100_2087.jpg

100_2081.jpg

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I would highly doubt that using a single hosed pump would have any effect what so ever on your, or anyones, car. The small amount of 87 that would pour out into the tank would be so minimal that it would have no effect on the total octane rating. I prefer to go to gas stations that have 3 hoses just because they are usually better stations and imo have better fuel. Mainly Chevron in my area is where I go. I go to a station by the highway that is used often so the fuel is not sitting at the gas station for too long.

And as someone has previously said I never fill up if the truck is refueling the gas stations supply. I have heard about getting more for your money by filling up at night, but I never even pay attention to how much the gas is per gallon I just fill up when need be. You could add some octane booster if you are worried about it, I put a bottle in every tank just to be safe, who knows what type of fuel you're getting sometimes.

Nice Cobra btw

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
I would highly doubt that using a single hosed pump would have any effect what so ever on your, or anyones, car. The small amount of 87 that would pour out into the tank would be so minimal that it would have no effect on the total octane rating.

+1

prostkr

Established Member
I read on a bike fourm, that you can get up to 3 gallons of the lower grade fuel before you get good clean premium....If I remember right it was a new bike dyno write up by Vance and Hines. They started taking the tow rig to the station and put the first 5 gals. in the truck then fill the gas cans for the dyno session.

RussZTT

Established Member
Filling up at night or day doesn't matter. The tanks are underground and its cool there anyway. Personally I think it doesn't matter about one hose. Fuel is only in the pump and hose (¼ gal at most)

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I don't figure there would be enough gas in the hose to matter on a fill up or even half a tank fill up. There is probably less than half a gallon in the hose to the pump. I have never had an issue with this.

On the other hand I will not get gas that has a truck putting gas in the underground tanks. I have always been told to wait 2 hours at least for the garbage in the gas to settle down. Every underground gas tank has a certain level of water in it to keep it from floating thru the ground to the surface. The reason I know this. the local gas station next to where I worked had to have their tanks replaced a few years ago with new tanks. After they dug the hole, put the vinyl liner in and set the tanks a water truck came in and filled the tank. They then covered the tanks up and poured concrete. When it was time for gas they pumped half the water back out and added gas. That is why you see them smear a grey or green paste on the measuring stick they stick in the hole to see how much gas is in the tank. Water causes the paste to change color and the rest not color changed is gasoline. Gas is light than water so the bottom of the stick changes color. So when the truck is dumping the fresh gas in the underground tank it is mixing the existing water and garbage up. Also I have heard and read about the buying gas when it is colder because you get more. Don't know how true it is.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There will most likely not be anything in the hose. The next time you fill up squeeze the trigger. At the most a tiny bit will trickle out. This is all that would end up in your tank. A different pump will pump whatever grade you choose from that point on. Everything else that is in the line, or in the pump will fall back into the holding tank due to gravity.

-Jeff

liedenfrost

Established Member
Ground temps are stable, so its a myth buying gas in colder temperatures to get more. Also, I'm not sure how much 87 octane is held up in the hose/pump, but I would really be careful with the tune, so that you are not running the ragged edge on timing and A/F just in case the gas in your car is only 92 octane rather than 93.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
There will most likely not be anything in the hose. The next time you fill up squeeze the trigger. At the most a tiny bit will trickle out. This is all that would end up in your tank. A different pump will pump whatever grade you choose from that point on. Everything else that is in the line, or in the pump will fall back into the holding tank due to gravity.

-Jeff

What he said ^^^

Juruense

Banned
If you are worried about it get in line behind another car that takes premium like an Escalade or something...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Damn I don't even know where I could go that has more than one hose anymore.

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Well the consensus seems to be that any small amt. will not effect our motors, so for now on I'll just keep squeezing the excess out before I pump and also avoid filling up when the tanker is there. Thanks fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread