few questions about a irs to sra swap

silver93

Established Member
im about to do a sra swap on my cobra. do i have to change my springs and can i use my rotors and brakes on the sra. also will it mess with my wheel offset. i heared it is a fairly easy swap. just curious what all ima have to change or what i can use off my irs setup. i know about exhaust, upper and lower control arms.

my98stang46

Established Member
Gotta get new springs and the brakes will fit. At least the rotors will. I'm not sure if you'll need a bracket to make the calipers bolt on though.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
is the sra out of a mach 1 or gt? also what year is the sra coming out of?

your springs are different at the bottom .. sra springs are more narrow where they sit on the lower control arm compared to your irs springs(which are the same width top and bottom)

your driveshaft will not bolt up to the sra also... that is something you will need to start reading on (not a hard fix tho)

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
If the SRA is out of a 96-98 cobra, '01 bullitt, or 03-04 mach 1 then you will be able to use your rotors and calipers. If it is out of a gt you will need to use the gt rotors, your calipers will bolt up.

You will also need SRA springs since the IRS springs do not fit.

Your wheel offset will be fine as long as you don't have custom made wheels that are offset specifically for IRS (ie; True Forged) and as long as the SRA is out of a 99-04 car. 96-98 SRA's are a bit more narrow, forget how much more narrow they are.

The pinion flange will also need to be swapped from the IRS to the SRA or you could go with a universal U-joint so you can bolt up your stock driveshaft to the SRA.

Last edited:

silver93

Established Member
If the SRA is out of a 96-98 cobra, '01 bullitt, or 03-04 mach 1 then you will be able to use your rotors and calipers. If it is out of a gt you will need to use the gt rotors, your calipers will bolt up.

You will also need SRA springs since the IRS springs do not fit.

Your wheel offset will be fine as long as you don't have custom made wheels that are offset specifically for IRS (ie; True Forged) and as long as the SRA is out of a 99-04 car. 96-98 SRA's are a bit more narrow, forget how much more narrow they are.

The pinion flange will also need to be swapped from the IRS to the SRA or you could go with a universal U-joint so you can bolt up your stock driveshaft to the SRA.

the rear end is out of a bullitt and i do have true forged wheels on my car also. where do you get the universal u-joints from also i guess i will buy a set of springs

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
the rear end is out of a bullitt and i do have true forged wheels on my car also. where do you get the universal u-joints from also i guess i will buy a set of springs

The U-joint is a Precision 448 or you can buy the correct pinion flange from ford racing which should be around $35-$40.

As for your wheels, I think you'll be ok with the offset, its not a drastic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread