Ferrari Odometer Rollbacks

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-device-roll-mileage-salesman-accuses.html

Saw this on Jalopnik earlier as well. Seems like a bad case of management within the dealer (hiring a GF, pushing this guy out) and a disgruntled former employee making accusations. I know any OEM has the ability to reprogram a cluster ( in cases of failures/replacements) but it doesn't make any sense that Ferrari would "Authorize" someone to rollback the odo on their flagship car to make more resale money. My understanding was always that Ferrari preferred to make the money of the car, not the people who bought and resold.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ruh roh.

Interesting though, because either AutoCheck or Carfax would show an odometer discrepancy...

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
Ruh roh.

Interesting though, because either AutoCheck or Carfax would show an odometer discrepancy...

Ya really, not like most owners are buying Mobil one and doing oil changes on their LaF in their driveway, has to be some service history reported.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The more I think about it, the more I don't buy it.

earl lee

Established Member
Ruh roh.

Not really, they only report what has been sent to them. Alot of these cars spend there times in garages so its not like they are getting their registrations renewed yearly.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Autocheck and carfax certainly do not catch all mileage reporting, also you can dispute their reports to be changed with proof. If a dealer was submitting proof they could have the reports amended.

oldmodman

Established Member
So let me get this straight.
Instead of someones 12 year old Enzo reading 2135 miles it now reads 1972 miles?
I wish I only had those kind of car buying problems.
And a car with absolutely zero miles on the odo? I once got a car with only 1.3 miles on the odo and I thought those miles were impossibly low.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
80b20-ferris_buellers_day_off_car_crash_scene.gif

I can't be the only one who read the title and immediately thought of this.

I can't imagine with all the electronic records these days that this wouldn't have been noticed some other way before this.

P.S. I thought it was funny that this GIF was on the DFW Red Cross server for some reason.

o2gt

Established Member
I think Ferrari dealers make a good deal of money selling used cars to people in order to get on a list for a new model. its a good business model for them and lower milage used ones will command a larger premium than your average used car. this has been my experience with them. I think some of this has slowed since the finical crisis, but I'm sure it has picked up somewhat. they build a market for used cars of low milage cars with detailed service histories that give owners confidence they will be able to trade their current car for the next new model and the guys buying the used one the same confidence moving forward.

4a7191a

Established Member
I honestly wouldn't doubt that .
Wonder how many customers were ripped off.
My cousin wanted to buy a used 360 Modena til he asked me if i could change the timing belt for him.
They're not bad in price, new vette range but still... Ferrari tax on parts is high.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Interesting. I read this last night as well and am wondering how true it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I'm almost willing to bet that Ferrari makes more money off of their merchandise than the actual cars they produce

***edit***
quick google search gave this article from businessinsider.com from 2015
...Including revenue from sponsorship of the company’s Formula 1 racing team, the company generated about $474 million in sales in 2014 while the website gathered $7 million in sales.

Sales of cars and spare parts, by comparison, generated $2.2 billion in revenue.

Ferrari is looking to raise nearly $900 million in the IPO, and be valued at about $9.8 billion.

/ willingess to make the aforementioned bet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread