Fence Question

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I'm about to put up a fence at my house. Do I want spruce or cedar? Reasons? The cedar is much more expensive, and I'd like to do a little patio work as well but we don't have unlimited funds. I know cedar lasts longer, but I doubt we will live here long enough to replace the fence.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I have used cedar and the fence still looks great and it's decades old.
Only problem is that the base of the fence posts always rot out after a few years and need to be replaced. It's a big job and expense since I seem to lose about 3 posts per year.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
My fence was cedar as well. Lasted almost 20 years. During that time when posts would rot I would simply buy a galvanized post and dig down about 3 feet on the inside of the fence. Drop the post in with some concrete and fasten to the wood post with brackets. Since I've put this band aid into use I can easily get another 4-5 years or longer on the fence.
However, It's a pain in the neck to care for the fence. Staining or painting it blows.
I'm ready to rip it down and install one of those new composite type fences and be done with it except for the spring time pressure wash job.

In your case go with the cheaper of the two.
However, If you stay longer than expected and the fence starts showing it's age then new prospective buyers look at that crap as work or extra expenses that they will need to deal with etc. Then it would have been worth it to go with the more expensive fence. Good luck.

Mulldune

Established Member
go with what ever is cheapest sice you said you wont be there long enough to worry about replacement

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
I'd go with cedar and make sure you put a good paint/stain on it. Many coats on the bottom to prevent it from rotting.

Users who are viewing this thread