Feline Cancer

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Anyone else have or had a cat with cancer? How cats are going to be like/act and what to watch out for are what I'm wondering about, what am I to expect?

There are the stages:

Stage I cancer is when a cancerous tumor is detected and the tumor is small, plus the vet establishes it hasn’t affected any other areas of lymph nodes.
Stage II cancer is when the tumor starts growing, but still doesn’t affect other areas.
Cancer at stage III starts to affect neighboring lymph nodes.
Stage IV is when the tumor has spread to several organs in the body.
Feline Cancer Prognosis - VetInfo

My cat had a (mammary) tumor which was cancerous and our vet told use it's an aggressive stage III and she's got about a year let. Though she acts fine, she floats around the house like nothing's wrong, she's strong and agile, and when you open up some treats or a can it's like she's a kitten again. The only difference now is that she's snores sometimes. She has always been a big sleeper but not more than before the diagnosis. I try to limit her jumping height but she still doesn't care. She's holding up good for 15.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I have lost 2 cats (brothers) to cancerous tumors. The first was about 8 yrs at the time and the 2nd was 12 yrs. Had to put both to sleep. They starting losing weight slowly as their appetite decreased. It wasn't noticeable at first. Then they starting slowing down. On the first cat, these symptoms happened very quickly, over the course of a month. Vet found a large tumor in his chest, and I had him put down within a week. His brother had the same symptoms, but they were over about a 6 month period. He had an abdominal tumor. Both cats were 12-13 pounders most of their life, and each was down to under 7 lbs when they were put down. They both were very lethargic at the end. Their mom lived until she was 16 and died naturally. Outlived all 5 of her kittens.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Sorry about your losses, I'm sure you had some good times with them. Thank you for your input

Now that you mentioned weight you reminded me that my cat has been consistent (9.5lb) she is a little cat, the only way we found the tumor was from pushing up on her belly sack.

The more I read about it it seems after the age of 10 is when cancer is more prominent

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Hate to hear this. I have 2 male cats. 1 is a little less than 9 years old, and 1 is about 8 months old. The only problem my older cat has is that the little one bugs the ever loving shit out of him 24/7.

oldmodman

Established Member
I am taking one of my cats to the Vet next week. I found a small lump on her side (thigh muscle area) and want it looked at right away. She was a feral kitten and is now 13 years old. Her mother is a wild cat and still lives in my backyard and she is doing great. She is (we think) 18 or 19 years old. All the cats are spayed or neutered.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your cat Tomustang and I'm sorry that I don't have any advice or information for you. My cat is almost 11 years old now and so far is still in reasonably good health. I dread the day something happens to him because the wife and I are so attached to the ugly bastard... He's like a 2nd child for the wife.

U.M.

IMG_3177.jpg

Last edited:

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Mine (likely) died of cancer a few years ago, they never did test to fully diagnose it but the vet was pretty sure it was cancer.

He stopped eating pretty much entirely, had no energy, and would spend days hiding under beds, etc. to avoid people. (FYI, cats hiding when they are ill/wounded is an instinct from the wild, they hide when they are weak so they don't become pray.)

I think he was something like 8 lbs when we put him down. He would go through remission periodically and would start eating, gaining weight, etc. only to go back to the old patterns a couple weeks later.

Putting him down was pretty hard as he was the only pet I've ever had, I got him as a gift when I was 8 and I was 21 when he died. Looking back on it, 13 years is pretty decent I suppose.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I am taking one of my cats to the Vet next week. I found a small lump on her side (thigh muscle area) and want it looked at right away. She was a feral kitten and is now 13 years old. Her mother is a wild cat and still lives in my backyard and she is doing great. She is (we think) 18 or 19 years old. All the cats are spayed or neutered.
Hoping for the best :beer:

Sorry to hear about your cat Tomustang and I'm sorry that I don't have any advice or information for you. My cat is almost 11 years old now and so far is still in reasonably good health. I dread the day something happens to him because the wife and I are so attached to the ugly bastard... He's like a 2nd child for the wife.

U.M.

IMG_3177.jpg

I still have the microwave photo :eek:

Mine (likely) died of cancer a few years ago, they never did test to fully diagnose it but the vet was pretty sure it was cancer.

He stopped eating pretty much entirely, had no energy, and would spend days hiding under beds, etc. to avoid people. (FYI, cats hiding when they are ill/wounded is an instinct from the wild, they hide when they are weak so they don't become pray.)

I think he was something like 8 lbs when we put him down. He would go through remission periodically and would start eating, gaining weight, etc. only to go back to the old patterns a couple weeks later.

Putting him down was pretty hard as he was the only pet I've ever had, I got him as a gift when I was 8 and I was 21 when he died. Looking back on it, 13 years is pretty decent I suppose.

Thanks for your input, 13 years is definitely decent :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread