Feel Like my 1/8th Times are Just CRAP, WTF?!

sccobra04

4.6 Juggernaut
Established Member
I own an '04 Yellow/Black conv. Cobra and here are my mods:

2.8 upper pulley
idler assembly
bbk full headers
bbk offroad x-pipe
flowmaster exhaust
Predator (set on pulley tune)
K&N FIPK
Diff Brace
Bushings kit (finally hardly any wheelhop)
Running on nitto 555R's at track

I launch at about 2700-2800(don't know if it should be more like 3500?) rpms, and I don't really dump the clutch, i more feather it. I feel like I'm balls to the wall fast But i'm only running 8.4 in 1/8th mile. The last 60' time I had was 2.0, so i know i need to improve my 60'. Can anyone give me some pointers or let me know if this sounds right, way off(how i feel) or slightly off for my car with my mods.
Btw, my times usually stay consistent throughout the night or get slightly better, never worse.
Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
D

Machinator

Banned
Your launch RPM is way to low try running 4000 rpms and running your nittos at 15psi, I know you think you will spin harder but you prob wont plus your drive train will be loaded already. Your 60#'s arent bad but it could be better, I think you are bogging the motor. I get better times from harder launches.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Just need to practice your launch...with that 2.0 dropped down to a 1.75, you'll be into the high 7.x's. Those Nitto DR's have 1.75 60 ft 's in them I bet. The guys with the full bolt-on/tuned 03/04's are running bests of 7.5-7.6's locally. You probably should launch at higher rpm's tho. When the track is prepped well here, 4000-4500 rpm launches just stick on the 275/40 M/T drag radials.

03OBRA

The Freak
Established Member
Machinator said:
Your launch RPM is way to low try running 4000 rpms and running your nittos at 15psi, I know you think you will spin harder but you prob wont plus your drive train will be loaded already. Your 60#'s arent bad but it could be better, I think you are bogging the motor. I get better times from harder launches.

ditto: i launch at a little higher rpm, but i dont just dump the clutch, i feather out, and i am cutting high 1.7's low 1.8's consistantly. i think there is more in mine also.

bp92gsr

Established Member
i work at emerald coast dragway and most of the cobras that are supercharged are running closer to the 7.90's to 8.0's. is that your stock coverter stall or can you go higher. try to lower the tire pressure and lanch at a higher prm if you can and i promise the e.t will drop.

bp92gsr

Established Member
oh yeah, i was talking about the stock cobra's 03' 04's. the ones running upgraded pullys with the kenney bell's are running 6.9's and 7.0's in the 1/8th.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
u need a dyno tune that was my problem with the predator i picked up alot with a dyno tune i whent from a 8.4 at 86 to a 8.1 at 93 the tune on the predator is just not that good its pretty much a saftey tune i would whent with a sct dyno tune oh that was cutting 2.0 and 1.9 60fts leaving from an idle with mickey tompson dr at street pressure 30psi im me some time where in NC are u

Kimcobra

Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
Just need to practice your launch...with that 2.0 dropped down to a 1.75, you'll be into the high 7.x's. Those Nitto DR's have 1.75 60 ft 's in them I bet. The guys with the full bolt-on/tuned 03/04's are running bests of 7.5-7.6's locally. You probably should launch at higher rpm's tho. When the track is prepped well here, 4000-4500 rpm launches just stick on the 275/40 M/T drag radials.

I run at Huntsville sometimes,and with a CAI,& catback I went [email protected] I have added some DRs and a 2.80 pulley and custom tune I hope to be running with the 7.5 guys,we'll see this Friday night..
Now for the question I come out at idle and have never had a better 60ft time then 1.8,I tried coming out at 4000 with nittos 315/35/17s and I broke a halfshaft :mj: So I am o.k. with leaving at idle...

sedanman

Established Member
That is a pretty slow 1/8 I would think see my sig for mods and I went [email protected] (have mph in the 95's) the 7.6 was on a 1.78 60ft with Nitto 305/30/18 mild burnout and a 3K quick slip. SaWhen did you wheel hop when you broke the halfshaft?

Kimcobra

Established Member
sedanman said:
That is a pretty slow 1/8 I would think see my sig for mods and I went [email protected] (have mph in the 95's) the 7.6 was on a 1.78 60ft with Nitto 305/30/18 mild burnout and a 3K quick slip. SaWhen did you wheel hop when you broke the halfshaft?

Yep It wheel hopped like a MFer,3 bounes and it broke :cuss:Didn't i see your car at BG??Yep I went Friday and everyone in are group was breaking so I didn't run the car hard,But still pulled a [email protected] a 2.1 60ft.My best in the 1/8 so far is a [email protected] a 1.9 60ft.But I really was in the car.I believe it has a 7.5 in it But since breaking the halfshaft I am a little scared to leave hard..I will be putting a solid rear in this winter,3:73 gears with locker..I hope to get down in the 7.3 range with a go 1.6 60ft time :rockon:

ls1eater

Established Member
8.4???...somethings seems odd....maybe the tune thats what I ran stock.....and best I ran in old cobra with stock pulley was 7.9x's.....you should be 7.5's or maybe a little quicker....keep working and youll get her.....it all takes practice.......

sedanman

Established Member
Yeah I was out in BG, I am gonna stick out the IRS with some Level 5 half shafts because the car gets road raced.

Users who are viewing this thread