Feeding a wire thru the Firewall ??

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Does anyone have previous experience feeding two 14 gauge wires thru the firewall?
I am adding an electronic mirror that has self dimming, map lights, compass and temperature.
I need to feed the two wires for the temperature thru the firewall so I can put the probe up in the front bumper.

It looks like one way is to feed it thru the passenger side kick panel but I will need to remove the plastic rf fender-well to do this.

I hate working under that dash on the drivers side.

:shrug: :read:

NastyWS6

Established Member
I would say your best bet is to run it up through the passenger side kick panel into the engine compartment. That way you won't have to try to drill a hole next to you pedals to run the wires through. BTW where did you get the mirror ?

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
There is a thick rubber boot where the main wiring harness passes through the firewall underneath the driver's side.

I pulled this boot into the car, carefully cut a slit in one side, and slide my extra wire into the slit. Then I pushed the boot back into place.

No drilling or panel removal required.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by NastyWS6
I would say your best bet is to run it up through the passenger side kick panel into the engine compartment. That way you won't have to try to drill a hole next to you pedals to run the wires through. BTW where did you get the mirror ?

Brand name Cipa ?

Purchased from a friend who bought it at a swap meet but didn't want it. Paid $125, Ive seen this type of mirror on ebay for $200+
It's brand new and I have already hard wired it across the top and down to underneath the dash on the passenger side. My electrical connections are already done and the self dimming mirror, map lights and compass work perfect .... now to run the temperature leads. Guess I will pull that rf kick panel and start fishing ....

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
There is a thick rubber boot where the main wiring harness passes through the firewall underneath the driver's side.

I pulled this boot into the car, carefully cut a slit in one side, and slide my extra wire into the slit. Then I pushed the boot back into place.

No drilling or panel removal required.

Thanks for the info .... before I try to snug my skinny figure (cough) under the drivers side dash (I hate that) is this plug by the brake pedals??

NastyWS6

Established Member
Originally posted by T3 Cobra
Brand name Cipa ?

Purchased from a friend who bought it at a swap meet but didn't want it. Paid $125, Ive seen this type of mirror on ebay for $200+
It's brand new and I have already hard wired it across the top and down to underneath the dash on the passenger side. My electrical connections are already done and the self dimming mirror, map lights and compass work perfect .... now to run the temperature leads. Guess I will pull that rf kick panel and start fishing ....

Sounds good, I miss the one I used to have in my truck, really good price too.

4D THNDR

Established Member
Originally posted by T3 Cobra
Thanks for the info .... before I try to snug my skinny figure (cough) under the drivers side dash (I hate that) is this plug by the brake pedals??

Ditto. I just took a skinny screwdriver and poked a hole thru it then shoved a cut coat hanger thru and taped the wire to it and pulled it back thru. It was snug and seemed like it took a couple tries. Just make sure you stay away from the wiring harnass. Here's a pic:
wire.jpg

maoun

Established Member
i have the gentex equivalent....but it also has homelink

actually, it's on order...arrives next week!

feed through the rubber boot

marwane.

Users who are viewing this thread