FBI Question

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
I was just wondering if any of you have worked with the FBI or attempted to get into the FBI. I am finishing up my Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems Security Soon and was thinking of getting a job at the FBI after I graduate. I am interested in pursuing a career as Computer Forensics Investigation so I would be interested in the FBI Cybercrime portion of it. Anybody have any experience with this or know of any place that I can get more information? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I have already checked out the FBI website and it says that they have positions available as Special Agents for Computer Science Graduates but not much information on there.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
nothingelse said:
I was just wondering if any of you have worked with the FBI or attempted to get into the FBI. I am finishing up my Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems Security Soon and was thinking of getting a job at the FBI after I graduate. I am interested in pursuing a career as Computer Forensics Investigation so I would be interested in the FBI Cybercrime portion of it. Anybody have any experience with this or know of any place that I can get more information? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I have already checked out the FBI website and it says that they have positions available as Special Agents for Computer Science Graduates but not much information on there.

I have direct experience with that agency as well as another fed. agency.

The last hiring pool of agents, there were 7500 applicants, 750 made it through testing and the structured interview and completed the non structured interview. Of those about 150 were given provisional status and moved forward to the polygraph, drug test and P.S.I.

The bureau is the most competitive L.E. agency in the country. Their hiring standards and processes are intense and arduous. They look for the most qualified candidates in regard to training, education and experience.

The bureau will not hire an agent without a minimum of a 4 year degree in a critical skill area and then they MUST have at least 3 years work experience in that field. The vast majority of agents have an advanced degree. About 35% of all agents have a law degree, another 45-50% have a masters degree or equivalent.

The ancillary positions are relatively easier to get hired for, but not easy by any means.

The average time from application to academy for an agent is 22 months.

The average time from application to training for ancillary staff, in cybercrimes, spec. analyst area is 19 months.

Background checks and adjudication take the bulk of the time past testing and interviewing.

ICE has a large cybercrime division and it is easier to get on with them as an agent. The requirements are less stringent. But still not easy. The average time from application to academy is 14 months.

Go to www.911jobforums.com for more info.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
I have had a lot of contact working with the FBI and have several really close friends who are / were Agents .... but don't specifically look to only FBI for Cyber Crimes type work. there are some really great places that do the same types of investigations.

Secret Service, DHS... believe it or not Social Security is one too.

911jobforums is a great place to get some really great info.... but search the site first.

jshen

Established Member
Yes it does

lightning_2000 said:
dang. takes alot to make it to fbi

But it's worth it! Whether you stay on until mandatory retirement..or leave early..that position opens a LOT of doors in both government and private employ....

I won't go in to the negative sides...but their are negative sides with every job..

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
nothingelse said:
I was just wondering if any of you have worked with the FBI or attempted to get into the FBI. I am finishing up my Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems

You need to contact them directly.

SVTFan gave statistics on the average education of the agents. While I did not know the exact figures, I had a preception in my mind that the advanced degrees held by their agents were even higher than the statistics he mentioned! This should tell you something.

Working for the FBI is not a job, it's a career. The path to any elite career is a journey in many aspects that combines time and hard work. You need to ask them what they want, NOT what they require. Doing this will offer you the greatest chance for employment with them, and you'll be hunting down MR. Anderson in no time!

Good luck Agent Smith;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread