Faulty voting booths

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I think this is just as appalling...

U.M.

Funny business in Philly: GOP officials booted, Black Panthers return -- and Obama at polling site? | Fox News

pollingsite_philly.jpg

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The outcome of the election is decided well before anyone counts the votes.

+1000

i may be mistaken but dont they usually show on the news the electoral votes starting to come in (before theyre even done counting all the popular votes)? just seems like a total dog and pony show when it comes to the presidential elections

and besides all that, CA is pretty much a guaranteed democratic vote

wow :nonono:

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
6 Reasons Why Your Vote for U.S. President Doesn't Matter

Interesting Read

Many people have heard of the Electoral College. Few people, other than those that are REALLY into Presidential elections understand how it works, most of whom are the ones actually running for President. On election night they keep talking about how the winner needs 270 electoral votes in order to be declared the winner. Seems like a low number of votes in order to be elected president. Suzie Q probably got that many running for First Grade hall monitor. So why 270? Let's do some quick math:

Congress is composed of 435 members in the House of Representatives and 100 members in the Senate. Each of these elected officials represents 1 vote in the Electoral College, plus Washington D.C. gets 3 (1 for the House and 2 for the Senate). That's a total of 538 electoral votes available. One-half of 538 is 269. One more than half is 270, or the number of votes necessary to become President. Yay!

But how does this relate to my vote you say? Simple, each state has X number of electoral votes associated with it (total House seats + 2 Senate seats) and each state is considered winner-takes-all. So whichever candidate gets the most votes in a state receives ALL the electoral votes that go with it. Or not. Wait. What?

That's right! Members of the Electoral College are appointed by the governors of the respective states. But there are no federal laws requiring them to vote in accordance with the popular vote. And in the states that have local laws the punishment is simply a fine but the vote cannot be changed.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
So basically if you want a certain side to win you need to vote that side into the house/congress.

according to that yea but...

Not only are you not voting for the President, you're voting for someone to cast your vote for President and that person can just say "go ef yourself" and vote for whoever the hell they want.

because there are no national laws requiring them to vote for the majority. there are local laws that could punish them for voting differently however it says they are just fines and the vote doesn't change.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
according to that yea but...

because there are no national laws requiring them to vote for the majority. there are local laws that could punish them for voting differently however it says they are just fines and the vote doesn't change.

though if that happend whats stopping people from not re-electing congressmen next time they want to hold office? I would hope the electoral college would take into account the popular vote of that state.

They should really just switch to a popular vote and get rid of the electoral college

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
What do i think? Wrong Section.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Is it that hard to accept that technology sometimes fails?

so_r_crazy

Established Member
Its been reported the same thing is happening with individuals selecting Romney and it selects Obama. Why didnt that Individual go a little lower and push the screen I bet it would have selected Obama. I hope people are aware if they select an option and its not what they want to touch the screen differently to see if it will change.

Sent via talk to text...mistakes expected.

Users who are viewing this thread