Fault code C2849, no mil light

Robot_trainer

Established Member
So I finally had a chance to run the car for longer period after the header install. Im using the kooks green catted h pipe. I hooked up my scan tool to check when it goes closed loop it did pretty quickly.

I immediately see fault code C2849. Says generic code. Took it around the block a few times. Runs great very responsive. Im also seeing the cat evap o2s htr and egr flashing on the scanner. The shop did use one o2 extender on pass side and did not use the o2 restrictors after the cat. All 4 sensors are new OEM Ford. Cars away for the winter. I'll deal with it in the spring. Any thoughts?

RBB

Established Member
Did you get a new tune for the headers? You don't have to, but there are a couple of things that should be changed. It will take your O2 sensors longer to heat up now and there's a setting that needs to be changed to account for that. Not sure if that is what's tripping that code or not....

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I asked Lund that awhile back and they said I did need an update. They said tune they supplied for the cold air/throttle body didnt need to be changed. It pretty cold up here now. 36 degree when I ran it the other day. it went into close loop pretty quick. No one seems to know what this code is. Since the battery was disconnected for a couple of weeks, it wiped the emission ready out so almost everything is not ready (EGR, O2, heaters, CAT, Evap). Too much salt on the road to do drive cycles so it will have to wait until spring. The thing is there is no check engine light. If I didnt hook the scanner up I would never have known. Car runs great.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Update. Solved the problem by accident. Some back ground. Got this code (shows up on a scan tool, no check engine light) after installing headers. No one can tell what this is. I even had a friend that is sponsored by Ford for Super Stock contact someone at Ford Performance and they couldnt find it. I figured that since the battery was pulled the ECM was reset and the I/M hasnt completed all of the tests and all it needed was a drive cycle.

Got the car out of storage last weekend. Checked again, yup still there. Went out for an hour drive. Car runs awesome. Checked again, still there. I/M O2, cat and htr not ready. I have a several Lund tunes. The one in the car was a 93 tune. I wanted to start getting away from the octane boost so I loaded the 93 tune I had with the oem timing curve, cold air, 3.73 gear (I guess its not a 93 tune anymore), and poof the code is finally gone.

Pulling the battery did not clear this code. Something about loading the OEM tune back in and then the 93 special did something to get rid of this code.

Users who are viewing this thread