Faster-than-Light Neutrino Puzzle Claimed Solved by Special Relativity

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Yep, this news hit about a week ago. This is why you don't let French people do anything. The GPS constellation was experimental proof of GR. To overlook its affects are laughable.

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Yep, this news hit about a week ago. This is why you don't let French people do anything. The GPS constellation was experimental proof of GR. To overlook its affects are laughable.
Nice, I just saw the date on the article. I was backed up from studying so much that I finally had time to look at this stuff. Peer review is so important in the science community. I knew it was :bs: freaken France.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I heard a lady on the radio talking about this about a week or so ago and she was saying everyone was pretty sure that the calculation was wrong, but they just didn't know why. It was very interesting listening to her even though I understand very little of it. haha

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Science ftw.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
when something moves faster than light, does it go forward or backward.

captain kirk tried this move against the klingons and it was successfull. wait, maybe it was Picard...

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
this leads me to a question.

does faster than light travel equate to time travel? or is time as we know it exceed beyond light speed...seems we have just not understood time...time is infinite, therefore exceeding lightspeed is also infinate?

i am completely sober right now too.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member

does faster than light travel equate to time travel? or is time as we know it exceed beyond light speed...seems we have just not understood time...time is infinite, therefore exceeding lightspeed is also infinate?

FTL is a form of time travel yes.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
FTL is a form of time travel yes.

but that is only true with time as we understand it. i believe time is greater than the bounds of our understanding...time can only be measured and understood with modern electronics, scientific methods and human understanding.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
but that is only true with time as we understand it. i believe time is greater than the bounds of our understanding...time can only be measured and understood with modern electronics, scientific methods and human understanding.

you are going off the reservation, and I cannot follow.

Time is the fourth dimension on a standard x,y,z,t coordinate system.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i hate smart people.

my mind thinks like that....time to me is just another boundry to break. solve. a mystery that is yet, more simple than we make it.

basically, our time is measuered by, and correct me if im wrong...but the earth rotating and circling the sun. breaking it down by how long it takes...1 year. broke down by months, then by days, then minutes, seconds, micro seconds, nano...you get the pic....so, are you saying that there is a definate end to breaking down time? as we know time and calculate it...yes there is an end...

but...we are just discovering new "dimensions" and solving mysteries of the universe....time, i believe we will discover there is more to time than we understand.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
i hate smart people.

my mind thinks like that....time to me is just another boundry to break. solve. a mystery that is yet, more simple than we make it.

basically, our time is measuered by, and correct me if im wrong...but the earth rotating and circling the sun. breaking it down by how long it takes...1 year. broke down by months, then by days, then minutes, seconds, micro seconds, nano...you get the pic....so, are you saying that there is a definate end to breaking down time? as we know time and calculate it...yes there is an end...

but...we are just discovering new "dimensions" and solving mysteries of the universe....time, i believe we will discover there is more to time than we understand.

The standard for a second (the SI unit of time) is based on the transitions of a cesium atom.

What new "dimensions" are you talking about? The ones that only work within the mathematical framework of M-theory?

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - AE

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member

LOLOLOL! :beer:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
The standard for a second (the SI unit of time) is based on the transitions of a cesium atom.

What new "dimensions" are you talking about? The ones that only work within the mathematical framework of M-theory?

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - AE

1000 years ago, did they know about the cesium atoms? just as the mechanics of time has evolved in 1000 years, it goes to say it will further evolve 1000 years from now. so, what we understand time to be now, will be completely different from then. so, if time travel is possible, we can ultimately go there now...which leads me to the ultimate question.

when will then be now?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
1000 years ago, did they know about the cesium atoms? just as the mechanics of time has evolved in 1000 years, it goes to say it will further evolve 1000 years from now. so, what we understand time to be now, will be completely different from then. so, if time travel is possible, we can ultimately go there now...which leads me to the ultimate question.

when will then be now?

The current definition is just to set a standard. 1000 years ago the quantum of time was the day. I.E the time it took for the sun to reach the same position in the sky each day. Anything after that is just to have a worldwide standard that everyone can use.

Our understanding of time hasn't really changed since those early days on the scale you are talking about. It's just our definitions have been refined to be more precise.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
This is the lady I heard on the radio talking about it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Knocking-Heavens-Door-Scientific-Illuminate/dp/1452654395/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319577034&sr=1-15]Amazon.com: Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World (9781452654393): Lisa Randall, Carrington MacDuffie: Books[/ame]

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
This pretty interesting. I know there was a thread about this topic. It looks like the breaking the speed of light has been busted because the relativistic motion of clocks on board GPS satellites exactly accounts for the superluminal effect. :beer: to Einstein. Faster-than-Light Neutrino Puzzle Claimed Solved by Special Relativity - Technology Review

OK...I understood the article, but if you really want a headache read the comments and arguments that follow it. Maybe a little doobie would help.

Users who are viewing this thread