FAST FAST FAST

BocaCobra

Established Member
Hey guys....What do you think the top speed is if it didnt have a governor on it. All I have done is a CAI from UPR and last week I redlined 4th at exactly 140MPH!! So the other night I took it up again and went into 5th for a moment at 145MPH....Let me tell you something also...It climbs to these speeds like its trying to catch something - Unreal how it just keeps pulling. I know its crazy to go that fast and I enjoy light to light more but sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do :)~~

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by BocaCobra
Hey guys....What do you think the top speed is if it didnt have a governor on it. All I have done is a CAI from UPR and last week I redlined 4th at exactly 140MPH!! So the other night I took it up again and went into 5th for a moment at 145MPH....Let me tell you something also...It climbs to these speeds like its trying to catch something - Unreal how it just keeps pulling. I know its crazy to go that fast and I enjoy light to light more but sometimes you just have to do what you just have to do :)~~

I know there have been a few guys that have bumped the governor at 155-160. I saw a post somewhere (can't find it) that showed 6500 RPMs in 6th gear would (theoretically) be around 220-225 mph... but toss in the real world physics and you won't get nearly that fast...

I'm betting they could get up to 185 or so... again, impossible to tell unless you get rid of the governor and actually run it! :)

StangD281

Established Member
Planes take off the ground at around 180mph I believe.....so unless you change the front splitter & increase downforce on the rear, you could have liftoff in the Cobra!

mike69440

Established Member
Stock top Speed is 165-168 w/o governor.

With 460 RWHP , chip pulley and exhaust, 174-178 is possible. Tire, brake and especially the air will stop you from any more speed.

Don't try this at home, keep it under 140. Real bad stuff happens quick. You will not feel a thing!

sfkarp

Established Member
Be carefull! I read somewhere that the reason there is a top speed govenor is becuase the car becomes unstable past 160.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
My uncle was a pit boss for years on the Nascar circuit. He told me that after 140 + you get a sensation of being in a tunnel. Things tend to happen very quickly at those speeds. But back to the subject I have been told by a reliable source that ungoverned the 03 will do evry bit pf 180+ - 5 mph but due to the fact that Ford encountered stability problems at speeds in excess of 150 mph it has limited the top speed to 155.

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
03 Top Speed

:coolman: I posted the previous 6th gear on the rev-limiter with the 03 while running a Z06. The Z06 I ran was clearly not stock. Judging by the bikes and other 200+ mph cars I have driven, I would estimate the actual speed to be in the 185 range. The car was dangerously unstable during the brief period I was at that speed. I have now installed a 2000 R type spliter and wing.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

batfat

Established Member
I fly jets for a living....Please believe me....The lack of down force over 150 mph will cause the rear of the car to become very light in the butt...NOT A PLEASANT FEELING...If you want to go that fast please put a wing on the tail...eg: Cobra R wing. Cheers, Sandy

batfat

Established Member
P.S. Most modern transport aircraft lift off at about (depending on weight) 135 Knots...corrected to MPH = 155

ntechnic

Established Member
I’ve ridden motorcycles at over 200 mph at Bonneville, and driven a car at over 220 mph there as well. The fastest I’ve ever been on the street was 193 mph in Nevada (I think it was highway 95?) on the way to Bonneville on a turbocharged Suzuki GSXR 1100 (we were illegally fine tuning it on the way to speed week). I know the exact speed because for every gear setup we graphed the mph curve against RPM (accounting for tire circumference, etc.)

You get real focused at that kind of speed.

Without a splitter and a big wing (hey, maybe that’s why the 2000 Cobra R had them!) I wouldn’t want to see the higher side of 140 mph in a Mustang. And of course, once you add the splitter and wing, you’ve added a huge amount of drag that will really bite on the top end (drag increases as the square of the airspeed).

A well educated guess, with a splitter and wing, would be in the 175 mph range at 400 horsepower for our machines.

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
Top Speed

:coolman: I too am a pilot as well as aircraft builder (Midget Mustang). Having been airborne in a car, due to a lack of downforce, I have a deep appreciation for it. However, I have an incurable need for speed. Besides, no way was I going to let a Z06 take me.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
:coolman: Sandy, I could not agree more. The P51 and the F-16 are absolutely the coolest machines ever built, period. I flew a P51 years ago. It was better than sex. At an EAA weekend, the Air Force let us fly an F16 simulator. That was a heck of an experience.

ntechnic, I understand the being focused at 200 mph. I have a modified ZX12R that keeps the top speed stuff in perspective.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I read somewhere that with the governor removed the top speed of a stock '03 was 181 miles an hour. I'll try to find that article and post the link.

U.M.

mosconiac

Established Member
I've been told that the limiter was placed at 155 due to the rating of the tires. They are rated around 155, so Ford placed the limiter there...no more, no less.

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
Top Speed

:coolman: Prior to installing the chip, the car would not exceed 160 mph (speedo). I understand it is speed limited to 158 mph.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I have seen a hair over 155 (or close to it) in my Cobra running my brother on his 1200 Kawasaki, the car indeed got real light and just plain scary. That was probably one of the stupidest things I have ever done, and have no desire what-so-ever to attempt it again.

But BocaCobra is very correct, you get there REAL fast and it wasn't lack of power stopping me from going faster.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sandy
The 2 sexiest aircraft I have ever seen are the Mustang and the F-16

OBTW the F-16 acheives takeoff rotation at 50knts. And sorry I have to brag, I've gotten 2 flights as well. Went mach 1.5 over death valley and pulled 9.8G's. What a rush...:p

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
I've been told that the limiter was placed at 155 due to the rating of the tires.

tires are W rated, which are good for 168 MPH

Users who are viewing this thread