fans on heat exchanger?

AUSTANG7958

03 TERMINATER VERT
Established Member
Is anybody running fans on there heat exchanger? Is it a good idea? Any body know where I could get some?:idea:

64comet

Established Member
Gords sells a kit. I have them on mine. It isn't a bad idea, but probably not completely neccessary. When your moving you really don't need them, but is nice to be able to run the pump with fans to cool the coolant between runs. They came with the heatexchanger I picked up so I used them. Damn thing sounds like a windtunnel on the front of the car when they are on.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
hmm a fan mounted to the front of the h/e might look interesting. i wouldnt do it but i would like to stare at it for a while.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
I datalogged two 2.93 upper only Cobra's on the same hot day in Texas, my car had a Gords HE with dual SPAL 6.5" fans, the other car had a stock HE and no fans. The difference was the stock HE car was 10-12 degrees warmer (IAT2) at the beginning of a 1st-4th gear pull then my car that had the aftermarket HE and fans. By the time I shut down at the top of 4th, both cars were nearly identicaly IAT2 (around 135 degrees). SO, for a daily driver sitting in stop and go, the fans are going to help you when the road clears and you hammer it, it is going to make the car a little livelier for the 1st 2 gears, then after that the difference is negligible to zero.

Now, if you want to buy some fans, I'll sell you mine cheap as I ended up going with a Killer Chiller and I don't have the gauge installed to give you actual street temps, but datalogging timing and IAT2 on the dyno it was dramatic how much better the AC cooled the IC fluid temps compared to big fans blowing on the front of the car and even ice in the stock IC reservoir.

For a daily driver, its a great stealth mod: keep the stock HE and add the killer chiller and be done with it. :)

black 10th vert

Established Member
I datalogged two 2.93 upper only Cobra's on the same hot day in Texas, my car had a Gords HE with dual SPAL 6.5" fans, the other car had a stock HE and no fans. The difference was the stock HE car was 10-12 degrees warmer (IAT2) at the beginning of a 1st-4th gear pull then my car that had the aftermarket HE and fans. By the time I shut down at the top of 4th, both cars were nearly identicaly IAT2 (around 135 degrees). SO, for a daily driver sitting in stop and go, the fans are going to help you when the road clears and you hammer it, it is going to make the car a little livelier for the 1st 2 gears, then after that the difference is negligible to zero.

Now, if you want to buy some fans, I'll sell you mine cheap as I ended up going with a Killer Chiller and I don't have the gauge installed to give you actual street temps, but datalogging timing and IAT2 on the dyno it was dramatic how much better the AC cooled the IC fluid temps compared to big fans blowing on the front of the car and even ice in the stock IC reservoir.

For a daily driver, its a great stealth mod: keep the stock HE and add the killer chiller and be done with it. :)

Jerry, any pics of how that killer chiller is installed? Or where to get it?

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Talk too Gords, its more for cooling down in between runs, good to have but not a have too.

Users who are viewing this thread