Fan Speed Change with Dual Fan Heat Exchanger n 170* Thermo?

Blacksmoke

Established Member
I heard u can change the fan speed on the dual fan heat exchangers when u out in a 170* thermostat via the tune

Is this true? If so how?
If not what should u change on the tune for these mods and to what settings?
Thanks!

Van@RevanRacing

You adjust the fan speed for the radiator fan with the 170 degree TSTAT.

You can't adjust the fan speed for the fans on the heat exchanger in the tune.

Van

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Ok cool. So you don't change the H/E fan speed.

What setting should the radiator fan speed be and are there any more settings for the Thermo that need to be changed like a temp?
If so what should settings be at on an 08?

Do my other mods affect what the settings should be?
Thanks again!

Bad Company

Established Member
I don't know the particulars of this mod at all or tuning requirements. But my thoughts would be that you change the ON/OFF temperature settings of the fan, not the fan speed. To install a different thermostat with a lower temperature opening point is useless, unless you can bring the fan ON at the lower temperature when the thermostat is open. Otherwise the engine will continue to build heat, until the fan comes on rendering the lower temperature stat useless in hot weather urban driving conditions

To change fan speed would be a matter of changing the voltage signal from the ECM, similar to the way a rheostat light switch works to dim or brighten a light in a room versus a standard light switch that turns the light ON/OFF.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
There is a low speed and a high speed temperature setting for the fans. The recommended settings for low speed on and high speed on are on the paperwork that comes with the reiche thermostat

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
I was under the impression that on the 2011 and up cars you could not change the radiator fan speed in the tune, but on the earlier cars you could. At least in my SCT there are no fan settings. How is it possible to control on the later cars then?

Bad Company

Established Member
There is a low speed and a high speed temperature setting for the fans. The recommended settings for low speed on and high speed on are on the paperwork that comes with the reiche thermostat
Ahh..........learn something new everyday LOL

I didn't realize that the fan was a two speed fan.

Van@RevanRacing

I was under the impression that on the 2011 and up cars you could not change the radiator fan speed in the tune, but on the earlier cars you could. At least in my SCT there are no fan settings. How is it possible to control on the later cars then?

2011+ have a progressive fan controller in the PCM. Your calibrator can demand a cooler operating temperature which will in turn command the fan speeds and settings.

On older cars the parameter has to be left open in the SCT device for the user to command different high and low speed fan settings. If you do not have access to these settings ask your tuner to email you your tune with those parameters open. 2010 and older cars only.

Van

Bad Company

Established Member
2011+ have a progressive fan controller in the PCM. Your calibrator can demand a cooler operating temperature which will in turn command the fan speeds and settings.

On older cars the parameter has to be left open in the SCT device for the user to command different high and low speed fan settings. If you do not have access to these settings ask your tuner to email you your tune with those parameters open. 2010 and older cars only.

Van
So my understanding of what you're posting is. The fan speed is variable in the newer cars and the PMC controls the voltage to the fan for the fan RPM. The PMC is tuned with a lower ON temperature for the lower temperature opening thermostats. As coolant temperatures continue to rise above the initial ON temperature setting that is programmed into the PMC, the PMC continues to increase voltage to increase fan speed. So the whole fan speed versus temperature changes across the programming range in the tables of the programming to have the fan draw more air across the radiator at lower temperatures for more cooling capacity at all temperatures. Of course I understand that the fan does have a max voltage input from the PMC and this will dictate max fan RPM, regardless of how hot the engine gets.

I hope I comprehended this process properly. Please clarify my thoughts, if I'm missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread